Reg failures...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About to get my regs serviced and then off on a 3-day liveaboard next month. Not able to get a real dive in between the service and the trip, but could lay on the bottom of my 5 foot pool.

Would major issues show up in 5 feet of water? I'm terrified that I'll descend for the first dive on the trip and have a reg failure, then be stuck on the boat without being able to dive!

Thanks!

Most issues following service will be leaks, and they should be apparent in any amount of water.

And most places you might go to dive will have rental gear, should yours entirely fail.

If I'd had my stuff serviced before a trip, I'd get in the pool with it, and if it appeared to work fine, I'd take it with me.

Always a good idea to have a test run before getting on the boat, even (or esp) after a servicing. A five foot pool is certainly better than nothing. Doesn't hurt to tell your technician that you'll be going from shop to five foot pool to three-day live aboard. If you have quality gear, good hoses, and a good technician then you should be fine. But there are never any guarantees. If you can't bring along a backup reg setup, then definitely bring some good suntan lotion :cool2:.

If it works in your living room and doesn't leak you'll be good to go. You can put it in the pool mounted on the tank, air on to check for leaks. It is always handy to have backup gear on a live aboard. You might check with the op about renting a back-up for the trip, if only to put your mind at ease. Relax, enjoy, that's what diving is all about relaxing and enjoying.

I would test the IP and if it is fine would not service it before the trip. The failures might not appear right away. I had a reg serviced and it started leaking on the 3rd dive. IMHO if the reg is working fine (the IP is locking properly) I would not touch it.

I can't recall a single time I've serviced a reg and had it fail soon after. I have only had one reg fail out of more than 10 that see regular use. That was a new reg, used for a few dives, but not rebuilt at that point.

Find out if your reg tech uses a machine to cycle the reg during service.

I agree with élan. If the ip is stable. Hold off on the service for the 3 days of diving you have planned and service after your trip.... Why tempt fate, unless the regs have been sittin In your boat bilge for the past year....

Just my .02 cents, your mileage may vary.

I can't recall a single time I've serviced a reg and had it fail soon after. I have only had one reg fail out of more than 10 that see regular use. That was a new reg, used for a few dives, but not rebuilt at that point.

Find out if your reg tech uses a machine to cycle the reg during service.

I'm not using that tech any longer, so I would not bother ...

It was the first time for me too...

I see more regs fail after service. Most divers have their regs serviced too often. I service mine based on use not time. 100 dives or three years. This means the some divers have there regs serviced more than once a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom