Reg disinfection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a concerin on the university gear.

There is a potential risk, such as Herpes and cold, on the rental gear. Some students alwasy bring their own mouthpiece and Listerine.

Considering the polluted waters we shore dive in Los Angeles, I've never worried a whit about this. I haven't rented gear in over a year since I bought my own, of course, but if I was worried about it being inadequately cleaned, a little listerine should do the trick.

A pool pretty much self-disinfects due to the chlorine. The ocean is a saline solution that should take care of the worst... at least, except for the bugs it adds all by itself.

If I was on a liveaboard boat such as the one described, where "group" regulators are mixed in between dives, I might consider that Listerine-worthy. I can't think of many other situations where I would bother, however.

Anything else is paranoia of the highest order.

Meng_Tze:
Are you kidding me? What can and has been seriously transmitted by using the same mouthpiece? When you rent gear, do you put on a new mouthpiece?

It think things can be drawn too far and too much in the cleanliness areas.... this being one of them. Have you thought about where you use this equipment in? Analyze the pool water and the sea water..... I bet you they are FAR dirtier than the mouthpiece...

I got a cherry flavored lipgloss surprise on my first OW diver, I'd much rather taste ocean.

There's at least a few nasty things that can be transmitted by saliva contact, aren't there?

reinhaling what someone else coughed into the reg might not be deadly but it certainly is unpleasant.

bluesbro1982:
Well, the reg *is* in A-1 condition mechanically, it just has the slight smoke taste. I'll probably get a new mouthpiece and when it gets serviced in 8 months I'll get some new soft parts. The smell isn't unbearable, it is just strange to smell / taste since I don't smoke. If the reg was crappy mechanically, i never would have bought it.

I may just buy another S600 second stage and use that as my primary, leaving the smokey-smelling one as my octo.

Spend and hour or two "diving" in a chlorinated pool - the smokey smell/taste will be replaced with the clean, refreshing smell/taste of chlorine:) - Or just soak it overnight in a bath of listerine - both will work, but with pool solution at least you can work on skills.

This is a big concern to the rebreather folks. We use a number of things to disinfect the breathing loop at the shop. One of which is called hibiclens. It's fairly cheap and availabe at some basic drugstores like Walgreens. I just picked up a bottle last night.

No one uses my gear but me, however, to prevent the growth of bacteria, mold, and other things, I thought this would be quite good. Typically it is used as a preoperative cleaner and hand scrub for surgeons. Pretty impressive stuff when you check their web page (which is hilarious):

http://www.hibigeebies.com/

Might also want to look at Virkon or Relyon.
http://www.americansaferoom.com/virkon_n.asp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom