Reg disinfection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Get your money back, then buy a new reg.

I'd say have it completely overhauled, including new hoses and a new mouthpiece. When they overhaul it, make sure you tell them you want all new "soft parts" ... i.e. a complete new service kit. You may also need to have them clean it a bit more thoroughly than they would normally. I'd hope that would take care of it.

I was at a Dive Rite demo, and they were using some sort of anti-bacterial mouthwash in between demos to disinfect.

Divin'Hoosier:
I'd say have it completely overhauled, including new hoses and a new mouthpiece. When they overhaul it, make sure you tell them you want all new "soft parts" ... i.e. a complete new service kit. You may also need to have them clean it a bit more thoroughly than they would normally. I'd hope that would take care of it.

If you have to go through that to bring the reg up to usable condition, I think a new reg might be the better way to go. If you cannot afford a new reg, then maybe you need to put off scuba diving till you can afford your own reg? That is the one piece of gear that should be in A one condtion.

If you saw someone urinating in the rinse tank, would you put your BC in there, never mind your reg, which will be in your mouth on the next dive? No? Then why are divers still rinisng thier regs in the rinse tanks along with other divers wetsuits? Hello?

Ok, if you saw SEVERAL divers peeing right into the rinse tank would you put ANY of your gear in there? Keep in mind there are several wetsuits in the tank, usually.

We have to ask ourselves, IF THEY HAVE A SEPERATE RINSE TANK FOR CAMERAS, WHY NOT ONE FOR REGS?

Airborne particles can stay in the air for as long as 3mins after someone sneezes, unless you walk around with a filter on your face, why are you worried about regs that have been soaked in a saline solution (=sea water)?

Just asking...

If that question is to me, [ can't tell since you did not use the QUOTE feature in your response ], the worries are regs being soaked in urine polluted fresh water rinse tanks. El grosso!

grazie42:
Airborne particles can stay in the air for as long as 3mins after someone sneezes, unless you walk around with a filter on your face, why are you worried about regs that have been soaked in a saline solution (=sea water)?

Just asking...

tc_rain:
Well after about the 5th day I ended up getting a cold and was unable to dive the rest of the trip. Not to mention feeling terrible the last few days at the resort. I would suggest if you don’t have your own equipment, bring a small 4oz spray bottle with a water/bleach solution to spray the mouth piece off.
you could have gotten that cold in the resort where the other guests were staying, I think that is more probable.

Web Monkey:
On the other side, would you rather use a mouthpiece that 200 people had used, or one that was used by a single person?

Terry
I am sure I have done it and didn't flinch :blinking:

I mean, dont get me wrong. It is good sense to clean things regularly, to keep out nasties. Like if someone puked in a reg, yes, you may want to clean it out.

But on regular use, disinfecting/ changing mouth piece goes a bit too far for my taste. But if it make people feel good... have at it

[QUOTE.../]I was at a Dive Rite demo, and they were using some sort of anti-bacterial mouthwash in between demos to disinfect.[/QUOTE]
:10: the feel good factor for you guys

pilot fish:
If you have to go through that to bring the reg up to usable condition, I think a new reg might be the better way to go. If you cannot afford a new reg, then maybe you need to put off scuba diving till you can afford your own reg? That is the one piece of gear that should be in A one condtion.

Well, the reg *is* in A-1 condition mechanically, it just has the slight smoke taste. I'll probably get a new mouthpiece and when it gets serviced in 8 months I'll get some new soft parts. The smell isn't unbearable, it is just strange to smell / taste since I don't smoke. If the reg was crappy mechanically, i never would have bought it.

I may just buy another S600 second stage and use that as my primary, leaving the smokey-smelling one as my octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom