Reg disinfection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone know how to properly disinfect a reg? Thanks

divebutt:
Anyone know how to properly disinfect a reg? Thanks

rinse reg than bathe in

12 oz household bleach (10%) to one gallon tap water for at least 2 minutes

rinse with fresh water.

Divin'Hoosier:
Why? Just curious as I've never had the need.

to prevent spread of germs from person to person, using same mouthpieces, such as discover scuba "type" programs.

Steve50:
to prevent spread of germs from person to person, using same mouthpieces, such as discover scuba "type" programs.

Makes sense. I'm the only one that breaths from my regs, so I don't have the same concern. For rentals or "shared" regs, I can see the need. I've done some air sharing drills in rescue class, but that was in the pool. Disinfection is taken care of by the chemicals in the pool water.

I'll clean them at resorts here if they are stored in warm damp room, which is always actually. You can get nasty stuff growing in even well rinsed regs.

I never use anyone else's regs. I always carry my own along with a couple of spares. Two reasons: I don't want to be breathing through something that someone else has used a few hours before plus this is my LIFE SUPPORT and I want to know what I am using. No problemo.

Steve50:
Are you kidding me? What can and has been seriously transmitted by using the same mouthpiece? When you rent gear, do you put on a new mouthpiece?

It think things can be drawn too far and too much in the cleanliness areas.... this being one of them. Have you thought about where you use this equipment in? Analyze the pool water and the sea water..... I bet you they are FAR dirtier than the mouthpiece...

If you are cleaning between dives, a standard mouth wash works well and dosen't taste as bad as the bleach dip. We use Scope between dives with commercial equipment. The 10% bleach soak is done at the end of the day to guarantee disinfection.

Back
Top Bottom