Refurbishing old DUI drysuit - what exhaust valve do I use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've finally decided to try and refurbish my old DUI drysuit. The fabric looks in GREAT condition and the suit generally holds air (as best I can test it with no seals. Rolling the edge over works for the cuffs but not the neck), but there a couple of issues.

1. It is a coated nylon suit with integral booties

2. All latex seals have disintegrated. I've cleaned the glue off and have ordered new seals. I'm strongly considering installing the SiTech NeckTite system and maybe the wrist system as well (unless my DIY project works - looks very promising). I'd appreciated pros/cons to the SiTech system. I don't want to install a ring system that I have to buy propriatory seals for.

3. The seam tape has come unglued and the the glue has flaked. Looked like a snowstorm inside. I used a heat gun and carefully removed all the loose sealing tape (>90% of all the tape) and the heat gun seems to have 'refreshed' the remaining seal. DUI sealed the seams with two layers, so one layer is still intact and looks good. I'm thinking of aquaseal if there are leaks on the seams. Other ideas?

4. My biggest issue. The inflator and deflator valves are OLD! They seem to work, but the deflator is only manual release (it probably has a over-pressure protection, but not one to control suit volume in regular use) This probably needs to be replaced for safety reasons. I've been looking and there are two major types of drysuit exhaust valves. Probably the most common is the adjustable left upper arm dump. The second (and < 1/2 the price) is the non-adjustable cuff dump. This is controlled by raising and lowering the left wrist. Pros and cons to each?

5. Excess fabric. I'm the original owner of the suit, but it is one of the telescoping variety. There is excessive fabric in the arms and legs. This leads to buoyancy control issues. Has anyone had any luck with wearing stretch clothing over the arms/legs to act as gaiters?

With all the potential issues I don't want to spend a lot on the suit until I know it will work for me, then obviously I don't want to spend anywhere near the cost of a new suit.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Raftingtigger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom