Reflector for DIY HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm almost done making a 10W HID cannister light. I will post pics when I finish. I used a D cell mag light to make the head and welsh allyn ballast and test tube style bulb. My question is, does anybody know a sorce for a good reflector that will fit a d cell mag light? I tried using the cheep plastic one that came with the light but it melted.

Thanks,
Jeff

This is what I would do. I would take the mag lite reflector and cast it. Then melt out the old reflector. after you do that. melt in some metal: bronze, copper, nickel. Then you need to silver the reflective surface. And what you get is a metal maglite reflector.

Sounds like a lot of work. I was hoping to buy a commercially available reflector, and maybe cut it if it doesn't quite fit. Just looking for a place that sells reflectors.

I might could make you one real quick if you would like.

It really isn't all that much work. Casting takes all of ten minutes, then after the stone sets you stick it in the oven till the plastic melts out (note: you actually burn it out; it will smell bad). Then you melt the metal and let it flow into the casting, you might need to use a potato that has been soaked on water to make sure all of the gaps are filled. It shouldn't take more than an hour to finish. You might want to take it somewhere to get it silvered. Actually, If you use nickel, you might could just polish it real well. The beauty of making it this way is that it will fit perfectly.

I can get you some detailed instruction if you want.

How do you melt metal? What do you use to cast it? I don't think I have the tools for this. It sounds interesting and fun.

I'm interested to read your instructions. I'm always willing to try something. If I have the tools I'll give it a go.

Thanks,
Jeff

Those options would all work, or you could try asking over at the CandlePower forums. There are a couple of folks making Aluminum reflectors for Maglights. They seem to run ~$25. Good luck, I'm waiting to see some pics.

Jake

Casting takes all of ten minutes, then after the stone sets you stick it in the oven till the plastic melts out (note: you actually burn it out; it will smell bad). Then you melt the metal and let it flow into the casting, you might need to use a potato that has been soaked on water to make sure all of the gaps are filled. It shouldn't take more than an hour to finish. You might want to take it somewhere to get it silvered. Actually, If you use nickel, you might could just polish it real well. The beauty of making it this way is that it will fit perfectly.

Now THIS is DIY! :D

It does seem like a bit of work, but now I'm actually curious too! What kind of equipment would you need for this job?

Now THIS is DIY! :D

It does seem like a bit of work, but now I'm actually curious too! What kind of equipment would you need for this job?

Go to a dental laboratory and take a quick look around. You need the half of the equipment that doesn't look fancy: wax working tools, burn out oven, blow torch, and a centrifuge/half a potato that has been soaked in water.

I'll post directions and pictures tomorrow, hopefully.

ok, so I don't have any pics, sorry.

To start you need to take wax and build a structure from the narrow end of the reflector to a point about a half inch above it. this structure consists of at least three posts and the tip needs to be conical. this will be used to form the funnel for the molten metal, and it needs to hold a little more metal than the volume of the reflector.

next you need to make a form in which to pour the stone. you need to be able to fit the reflector and the "structure" in this with at least a quarter of an inch to spare all around, except the top needs to be flush with the tip of the "structure that you built onto the reflector. PVC pipe would work well for this.

Coat the inside of the form with vassalein.

now you need to set the form on a flat level surface and stand the reflector on the structure, and inside the form, and mix up the stone. the stone needs to be able to flow, but it shouldn't be watery.

fill the form with the stone. you need to get as many bubbles out of the stone as you can before pouring. the only way to do this is with vibration. an electric razor or beard trimmer may work for this. after pouring the stone you need to get the remaining bubbles out.

let the stone set.

after the stone has set you need to remove the cast from the form.

make sure that the stone is not covering the face of the wax structure. if it is you can use a flathead screwdriver to scrape it away.

next you are going to need a really HOT oven. basically, you are going to boil away the wax and plastic. The oven needs to reach at least 1500F. after you get access to such an oven, place the cast in the oven with the wax facing down and turn on the oven. after the cast has been exposed to 1500F for 1.5 hrs either let it cool before removing, or remove with tongs.

now what you have is a mold of a reflector.

if you are using the soaked potato method
now you are going to need something in which you can melt the metal and then pour it into the casting. stand the casting up so that the opening is facing up. place the metal in the object in which you have deemed sufficient to melt metal. take your blow torch and melt the metal into a puddle. remove the torch just long enough to add flux, and then you are going to need to "shake" the container: use a long metal object. now you are going to need to pour the metal, and have your potato ready. once you have filled the funnel, take the potato and firmly hold it on top of the cast. in doing this steam is created and so is pressure. this "forces" the molten metal into the mold.

If you have the correct centrifuge, or know someone who does, you should not need my help.

If there is a miscast you are pretty much screwed. I would suggest that you practice this process several times on similar sized and shaped objects before you make an attempt on the reflector.

NOTE: If you do not think you can do this safely do not try. If you do try and you get hurt do not blame me. Use extreme caution, and proper safety measures when working with molten metal.

after you have applied the potato for a reasonable period of time pick up the cast with tongs and run water over it till it is cool. now you need to remove the new reflector from the cast. a large pair of pliers should work well. if this does not work, take a hammer and gently smash the cast. be careful not to damage the reflector.

there will be a residue on the reflector left from the stone. the best way to remove this is with vinegar and a sonic cleaner.

depending on the type of metal used you will either need to polish it really well, or polish it really well then silver it. if you silver it you will want to apply something to keep the silver from tarnishing.

Now you have a metal maglite reflector.

if anything in these instructions is confusing please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Sounds like fun.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the things necessary to do it, except maybe a wet potato.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom