Collimator/reflector for old H10 canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, if just cycling power changes modes that's pretty viable. Those aliexpress things are so cheap it might be worth buying a few to play with...

Yeah I'm thinking of making it a general purpose light, so 10-15 deg beam with some emphasis on burn time. With a parallel/series pair of LiPo packs I can get ~110 Wh at 11 or 22V supply.
With something like this driver (1amp) driving this led (1700 lumen) at around 12V, that's almost 10 hours run time. Parasitics probably bring this down 10% or so. Halving that burn time to double the brightness would be totally OK, which is around the spec of that second link you posted.

Only other thing is battery protection,,,, not alot of drivers have that build in,
you can get a separate module bms, or protected batteries,

I'm also leaning toward skipping battery protection for the first generation. I'd need to build one (or two, if I'm using multiple battery packs) with connections suitable for the RC LiIon packs. If I do this I'll try to have enough flexibility that I can add protection in the canister, later. There will be a lot of extra space even with 110 Wh of battery inside. As a stopgap measure, there are battery alarms that plug into the balance leads of RC batteries. I'll have to test to see if they are audible through the canister wall, underwater.
Protected battery packs are also an option, maybe these.

In the next few days I'll restart this thread in the DIY forum, unless Dive Rite has some stellar news for me when the workweek starts.

have to test to see if they are audible through the canister wall, underwater.

I have tried something similar on a dive scooter, on land it's fine,, but underwater with water in the ears, its hardly heardable,
Now that has 2 speakers... might be better, maybe a small vibrator motor, in place of the speaker,,, just a thought,
I am of 2 minds about battery protection, for underwater, especially a dive light, in a cave, I don't care if I kill a battery as long as I can get out,

Seems you are on the right track, lots of cool parts in the RC world,

Back
Top Bottom