Collimator/reflector for old H10 canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gvnwst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend gifted me an old Dive-Rite canister light he had laying around, and it needs a little TLC. In particular, I'm hoping to be able to find a suitable reflector as the current one is bent up (see pictures).
The light head is labeled H10, but it doesn't seem to be the H10 HID slimline that corresponds to this user manual. It's old enough that it is fed off a lead acid battery pack, instead of the NiMH.
The bulb is indeed a 10W HID from Ushio.

Are suitable parts available, perhaps from a more recent model which shares similar dimensions? The primary concerns are the reflector and replacement/substitute bulbs.
Everything else I can fix up or is already in solid working condition.

Thanks!

PXL_20211231_181136001.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211219_010207031.jpg
PXL_20211219_010237698.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211211_043559443.jpg

Looks like it has a 10w hid bulb, those bulbs and ballasts have long since been unavailable (at least that's what light monkey told me a couple years ago, when I received a similar light).

You might have luck finding a reflector from an old salvo/halcyon hid light head.

Jimchris, thanks for the info. To confirm what I've got I put some gloves on and popped the light head open to take a closer look at the bulb, it is indeed an HID -- this one, a Ushio solarc M10P001 in B10N002 ballast. I've adjusted the OP.
A quick google doesn't show that the bulbs are available, though something claiming to be the correct ballast is around for ~$40.
This might just turn into a "can I retrofit a LED element into this housing" question...

Hi
I have used this light and I even still have two somewhere (one ok, one without bulb).
The good thing is that the reflector is moving along the head giving you a narrow or wide beam.
The pdf you linked is indeed the head you have (H10) but the canister is not the slimline but the wreck.
The wreck canister, larger than the slimline, was wide enough to hold some models of lead motorbike batteries :)
Nowadays, you can get a pack of Nihm batteries and get a HID bulb (you only need the naked bulb, not the one with the reflector included) or repurpose the canister for heater pack.
Regarding the original reflector, you can make on from a small metal food bowl or can try to get an aluminium reflector used for photography.
Enjoy the diy :)

Where do you source these bulbs? Great idea on a small metal food bowl, even though they're not parabolic they are an easy thing to cut up!

I spent a few hours last night speccing out a custom LED conversion and while it requires me to do some machining (not a huge issue) it's pretty darn cheap. Plus, ~3x the light output for ~12W power consumption.

I would go led, so much simpler, and reliable
Try to find a driver with 2 or 3 modes and doesn't have a strobe,
I am so glad I leapfrogged over hid technology,

Do you have any suggestions for retrofitting a switch that can act as a mode selector? My inclination is "on/off" because it boils down to a battery+bulb replacement (though the "bulb" becomes a machined part with the LED mounted). Having a dimming option would be great.

It's hard to find 3 mode modules,
Usually cycling input power changes modes,

All depends on input voltage, led wattage,
Here are a few options that I had a quick look for
C$ 4.32 15%OFF | 1PC 12V (7-15V) Input 22mm LED Driver 1 Mode / 3 Modes / 5 Modes Output DC3.7V 2.8A for 1pc Cree XML2 XML XPL LED Emitter
C$ 16.35 15%OFF | Cree XHP70.2 6V Cool White Neutral White Warm White High Power LED Emitter 16mm 20mm Copper PCB + 26mm 1 Mode or 5 Modes Driver

I assumed you are building a narrow beam light,
But here are a few pictures that i made, it's a flood,
75 watt led, but it doesn't run close to that, more like 20 watt max,

Attachments

• 20220102_142627.jpg
    20220102_142627.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220102_142636.jpg
    20220102_142636.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 79

Back
Top Bottom