Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I don't have one but I think the primary is just a bigger version of the reels I have. I like the little ones because they're not as bulky but it's a matter of personal taste. As far as reliability they're good and not very prone to jamming, which I like. If you can jam a reel I'll find a way :)

R..

There are many great reel designs available...but few are perfect for every task.

For most instances (recreational diving), I favor the finger reel. It is the easiest way to shoot a bag and offers a quick and easy method for basic wreck penetration. When recreational wreck diving (with students/customers) I am limited by agency guidelines for penetration (30m vertical/horizontal distance from surface)...so a large capacity reel is unnecessary. The other benefit is that a finger spool is easy to carry...and you won't be crying (or seeking a re-mortgage of your house) if you lose/abandon it and have to buy a replacement.

Of course, you can also 'lock' a finger spool... if you have a double-end clip.

If you need to shoot a bag from depths where a finger spool will not have enough length...or are doing more extensive penetrations...then you really are in the realm of technical diving. I've used a Custom Divers reel with 125m of line for these tasks....but if/when I need to replace it...I will opt for Halcyon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom