Reel Backlash:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norm

Reaction score
Has anyone ever shot a bag from depth, (for whatever reason), and had their reel to backlash and/or lockup? (Just wondering) I would like to hear of some experiences if anyone would care to share. Thanks.
Norm

Unless you're using a spool (totally open-faced) there's always a possibility of backlash.
If I am going to shoot a lift bag I usually use a spool - but if I'm going to use a reel for some reason, then I pull the line off the reel first, lock the reel and drop it below before shooting the bag, which just brings the reel back up to me.
Rick

I wrapped the line on my Manta reel around the rewind knob when shooting a bag from 70fsw once - fortunately I had a backup spool and bag or it would have been a free floating hang.

Spools are kind of a pain though - have to hang on or tie off the line, neither of which seem like a great solution - so I still use the reel pretty regularly.

Originally posted by reefraff
Spools are kind of a pain though - have to hang on or tie off the line, neither of which seem like a great solution - so I still use the reel pretty regularly.
The spools I make have holes around the outer edge that will accomodate a bolt snap - just capture the line in the snap and snap it through the hole - just like locking down a reel.
Rick

When I use a reel with a lift bag, I become slightly negative, and allow the bag to rise slowly to 1.reduce the possibility of backlash and,2. to reduce the possibility of the bag (open circuit) turning over at surface and coming back down. I hope this helps, and Safe diving.

Interesting experiences/input. Thanks guys.
Reasons for shooting a bag, "for whatever reason", can include, but not be limited to: Making an object or location for you/someone else to return to later, Preparing a downline for others to come to/find your specific location, Preparing yourself an upline for deco and/or Marking your ascent for pickup by surface support, among other things.
(Sorry about the slow reply Uncle Pug)
Norm

Originally posted by Norm
(Sorry about the slow reply Uncle Pug)

No problem.... the reason I ask is because maybe for some reason you would need to shoot a bag with a reel.... but I never do.... I always use a spool and it just sits there in the water spinning as the line races upward with the bag...

Have you tried using a spool???

As long as you are not shooting from a great depth (and I see no reason to) then the spool is perfect and does not backlash.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

As long as you are not shooting from a great depth (and I see no reason to) then the spool is perfect and does not backlash.

How does everyone go about winding all the line back onto a spool as you ascend?

The times I've sent up a bag have generally been when diving in current with a live boat, sending up the bag from around 20 m. Sending the bag up works fine, but hanging off the bag, trying to wind the spool up by hand is a bit annoying while you are being towed along in a decent current - esp if the current is greater on the surface.

Any tips? I'm tempted to change to a reel for ease of line winding, but really like the simplicity and the size of the spool - I can leave it in a BC pocket with no thought. And I like not thinking about this stuff until I decide to use it...

Mike

Originally posted by Se7en
How does everyone go about winding all the line back onto a spool as you ascend?
Mike

The bolt snap the is used to clip off the line to the holes around the spool is unclipped at the end of a deco stop but left around the line. Us the bolt snap to wind the line around the spool as you ascend 10' and then clip it off again. Repeat at each stop. If you are in a current and or wind at the surface is pulling the line and spool away fom you...jerk it do every so often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom