Reef's End Drift and Jody's Backyard, Oct 15, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the coordinates Kris...

np. Sorry they're not more precise... I'm trying to remember to drag my GPS along everytime I'm on the boat now so I can collect more coordinates. At that point, it'll be easy to figure out headings from anywhere on shore! :D

Next time I'm on the bbscuba boat I'll ask Captain Bill for them. I think it'll be fun trying to find them without them though!

Thanks Kris,

Sean
It can be challenging to find these patch reefs without really good directions.

One thing to keep in mind is to keep your eyes open for the "Randall Zone" around them. Look for patches of sand where there is no halameda or algae -- once you find those, you know you'll be pretty close to something. The bigger the patch, the bigger the something. :)

that's how we found "3rd" reef today at Airport - we scootered out to 85' turned north and looked for the Randal zone - when we saw it I just skirted the edge looking for the coral and there it was. Really helps on days when vis is under 50ft.

that's how we found "3rd" reef today at Airport - we scootered out to 85' turned north and looked for the Randal zone - when we saw it I just skirted the edge looking for the coral and there it was. Really helps on days when vis is under 50ft.

Tim Tim Tim....3rd reef???? Was Santa Claus hanging out with the Easter Bunny on the 3rd reef too :)

Yes I too doubted that was the elusive "3rd reef" the first time I went there, but after describing it to several local divers I was told that was all there was to it... a few coral heads in the middle of a Randall zone.

Best part was the travel time was only 6minutes out there :D

Back
Top Bottom