Reef's End Drift and Jody's Backyard, Oct 15, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a few photos and a link to my report. Another excellent time with Blesi, Captain Bill, Zack and Stan on the BB boat.

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028closeup.jpg

My strobe is on the fritz so I'll be shooting some video in the next few weeks with my P&S until I get it back..

Here's the full report and photos:

Reef's End Drift and Jody's Backyard, Oct 15, 2007 - Scuba Blogs

Sean

Hey Sean... sounds interesting.

Two questions:

1. why not try the ambient-light challenge and shoot stills without your strobe? Sometimes ambient can actually make for some very dramatic photos, not to mention a great deal more challenge in setting up your shot. Regardless, that situation will invariably make you a better photographer, as you'll learn to adapt techniques.

2. Where is Jody's Backyard (roughly)? I've never heard of this site. Can you describe the general layout (depth, topography)?

Thanks,

Hey Sean... sounds interesting.

Two questions:

1. why not try the ambient-light challenge and shoot stills without your strobe? Sometimes ambient can actually make for some very dramatic photos, not to mention a great deal more challenge in setting up your shot. Regardless, that situation will invariably make you a better photographer, as you'll learn to adapt techniques.

2. Where is Jody's Backyard (roughly)? I've never heard of this site. Can you describe the general layout (depth, topography)?

Thanks,

I have seen some ambient light groups on flickr and they do get some good shots, but outside of my WA setup I don't think I could shoot anything with my 60mm. It requires the strobes for the high F stop and sutter speed; if anything I need more powerful strobes to shoot at F22 1/250th or faster... You are correct though that I could do some ambient light shots with the WA. I've been going like mad for the past 4 months so it's a good time to put the camera down for a bit...

I think it is next door to Marty's. :D

It's a site name unique to B&B. One of several offshore from 5 Graves / 5 Caves / Nahuna Pt. (See --- even shore sites can have several names. )

I don't know the exact coordinates. It has some large antler corals with some boulders/lava rocks that have corals on them. There were a lot of fish but I think Red Hill has some better spots.. I actually got the name of the site off Ed Robinson's website since I forgot what Blesi and Bill had called it (I think they used ER's name)... I guess the tank and landing craft are nearby... I hope to dive that soon!! (but I need the camera :))

Sean

I have seen some ambient light groups on flickr and they do get some good shots, but outside of my WA setup I don't think I could shoot anything with my 60mm. It requires the strobes for the high F stop and sutter speed; if anything I need more powerful strobes to shoot at F22 1/250th or faster... You are correct though that I could do some ambient light shots with the WA. I've been going like mad for the past 4 months so it's a good time to put the camera down for a bit...

Without an external strobe, I've found my P&S gets WAY better shots using ambient than even using the internal flash.

I understand what you mean by needing to go with the WA. 60mm would be difficult to shoot with if you're not doing macro-type work mostly.

I don't know the exact coordinates. It has some large antler corals with some boulders/lava rocks that have corals on them. There were a lot of fish but I think Red Hill has some better spots.. I actually got the name of the site off Ed Robinson's website since I forgot what Blesi and Bill had called it (I think they used ER's name)... I guess the tank and landing craft are nearby... I hope to dive that soon!! (but I need the camera :))

Ahh, ok, looking at the description on ERDA's site and your description, I wonder if it's not also called Deer Valley. (Antler coral -> Deer have antlers... get it? [groan])

I've dove Red Hill a few times now and never been terribly impressed. There's stuff to see usually, but I find that shore dives like Ulua or Makena Landing are more enjoyable -- 2/3rds of the time I've dove Red Hill, the current is almost too strong to spend much time looking at stuff... you have to work to stay in one spot. Perhaps I just haven't had a good day there... but it's not boding well as a recommended site. :(

The Tank & Landing Craft are pretty cool... I can get you headings for those if you & Tim want to scooter to them.

If you can, check out the 85' Pinnacles... that's a nice site. But you'll want Nitrox for sure! :D

I'd be interested in them :)
The easiest starting point (for reliable headings) is the rock that's practically on the beach right in front of the activities building.

You'll want to park at the south parking lot (go past the Prince, take your first right and follow it to the end of the road). It's still going to be a hike, but I haven't had much luck leaving from the north end of the beach.

From this rock, you can take a 300 degree heading for the Tank. If your heading is accurate, you'll pass over the turtle cleaning station (a 15' high pinnacle in 25' of water) en-route. You'll find it in about 60' of water. From there, take a 170 degree heading for ~75 yards, and you'll end up at the Landing Craft in ~55' of water.

If you'd rather, you can take a 270 degree heading from that rock and end up straight at the Landing Craft.

They're both really interesting, though the Landing Craft is in better shape. The Tank has some more interesting things around it, though -- including what appears to be a shell loaded in the barrel.

Thanks Kris,

I assume you are leaving from the beach in front of the Prince?

If you can grab a 3rd scooter, maybe you, Sean and I can head out there one day soon?

Aloha, Tim

I assume you are leaving from the beach in front of the Prince?

If you can grab a 3rd scooter, maybe you, Sean and I can head out there one day soon?

Indeed -- Maluaka Beach.

And I meant the rock in front of the Prince's beach-front activity center (where the scuba stuff happens from).

Sorry for not being more clear. :)

I don't have access to scooters these days, unless I'm assisting with a scooter class...

Back
Top Bottom