REEF ID Class - November 13 & 14, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad:
Jenny,
The feast was great at your house. I had a great time. Thanks for opening your house to all of us. Now, you can't call us nuts for diving on Sunday if you weren't out on the boat with us. Yeah... the waves were 5-7+.. but the viz was a good 40-50'. I could see top to bottom. I haven't seen that kind of viz in a long time.

Thanks to Colin for setting this up over and over again. It worked out real well. Rose did an outstanding job... and her mentors were great! I learned a lot from Laura. Also... can't forget Pavan from Dixie Divers for setting up the classroom.

Al

I agree Al, although it was rough, underwater was nice enough to go back and do it again. I envy those of you with access to the type of diving you find in Broward. One last piece about diving on Sunday was that the four of us were the only divers around. Our group stuck together really well both on the surface and underwater. It was a great dive.

Joe

As always, it was great fun to see old friends, and meet some new ones. I had breakfast with Joe (JustJoe) from Ft. Myers who arrived early and got parking even before I did.

Weather was great, though the vis was pretty rough - 10' only in some spots.

Here's a few shots everyone gearing up.

First picture is Joe (joeamit), Joe (JustJoe), Chuck (cra2), Vickie (baitedstorm) and Colin (CBulla).

Next is Jenny (Scuba_Jenny), Brian (novafury) and Rose from Oceanwatch.

Last shot (back to front) is John (JGB), Ralph and Toni (tonidiver).

I know I missed a few folks - sorry

Marc

One to note to your pics Marc - pic 1, tall gent in the background is cra2, Chuck

Oh... for those who dive Datura regularly 1) you should love the manager of the hotel whose parking lot shares Datura, she is VERY pro diver and lobbying for better parking and shower facilities to be made to help divers out 2) The code enforcement guy is a really nice guy once you talk to him for a few hours.. he'll even do sand burnouts and 4wd tricks and laugh and joke once he gets to know you 3) The meter guy responds really well to being greeted and thanked and having problems pointed out.. he gave everyone extra time after he emptied the meters Saturday morning. :)

Joe, I may bring ya back with your gear. Just so I know that you did make it back in "Hopefully" one peice.... and so your family can knock ya around and say I told ya so LOL... Ummm I think these waves no mater what size boat, were enormous. I was glad we didn't push it to far in mine going to arc.

I wish I could come back this weekend to dive, but I think I might wait for the next class next year. Colin any ideas on a time ffor the next class???????? :06:

CBulla:
Spring - March or April

Anyone have a few years weather history in log books to help confirm vis and shore dives :)
Colin, this year, the "winds of march" extended all the way into May. Vis was the pitts and 2 - 3' seas at the shore....lots of beach erosion. Hopefully this year will be different. Jan and Feb are fine, just a bit on the chilly side, with water temps around 72F or a few degrees cooler (in the morning, of course). I dove Datura on 12/26/03 and the water temp was 71F at the surface, 69 at the 2nd reef (18 fsw).

I have logged mid March temps of 75, vis from 10-50. The couple April dives I have done, temps are 76.
I would love to see the class again maybe in June. The winds are gone, the seas have warmed up, and vis is good. (usually :wink: )

We'll play it by ear then and start to plan about a month out from when we want to have it.

Incidentally - I took my Fish ID Tests online.. just have to get wet and do surveys now :)

CBulla:
We'll play it by ear then and start to plan about a month out from when we want to have it.

Incidentally - I took my Fish ID Tests online.. just have to get wet and do surveys now :)
Just remember that there might be fronts coming through still at that time, then of course barely a month or so later its the start of "the season" again which postponed this thing so much last time around! Here i was thinking that this place only did one thing, hot and humid, now i know differently :wink:

How do we take the tests, Colin said there were online, is there for the REEF level 2 or something else...

Thanks,
Heith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom