Reef hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find the link right now, but the Palau Aggressor recommends 6' long. The shackle attaches to my front D-ring and the hook hangs off my left shoulder on a bolt snap. When needed, unhook the hook, slide it out of the last loop, and pull.

Reef hook.jpg

I can't find the link right now, but the Palau Aggressor recommends 6' long. The shackle attaches to my front D-ring and the hook hangs off my left shoulder on a bolt snap. When needed, unhook the hook, slide it out of the last loop, and pull.

View attachment 514431

You might consider making a little lanyard for the split ring on your snap shackle. Much easier to grab in the event you have to quickly release from it. It's what I use on my DPV because it doesn't require taking tension off the attachment like a bolt snap would.

I've seen the hooks from Palau and have wanted one ever since.

It’s fairly common to use reef hooks while diving @Komodo Islands or similar current-rich areas. I sometimes have a few divers holding on to me (seriously) and I recently started to use a small finger spool rather than webbing or a rope. I can play out the rope on the finger spool, while my divers hold on to the rope off the spool. I can easily control my height from the bottom and I can easily stow the spool on my D-ring, out of the way with minimal drag (or slow it in a pocket).

It’s fairly common to use reef hooks while diving @Komodo Islands or similar current-rich areas. I sometimes have a few divers holding on to me (seriously) and I recently started to use a small finger spool rather than webbing or a rope. I can play out the rope on the finger spool, while my divers hold on to the rope off the spool. I can easily control my height from the bottom and I can easily stow the spool on my D-ring, out of the way with minimal drag (or slow it in a pocket).

Thanks but what is a finger spool, do you mean the small line or an SMB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom