Reef hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, the reef hook shown above is dangerous because of the snap attachment. Under a heavy load caused by a current, this snap can become difficult, if not impossible, to release from a D-ring...

I wondered the same thing and asked my neighbor when he showed it to me. He said it wasn’t difficult to pull yourself against the currents he experienced to unhook either end. Someone with compromised hand function might have a problem but would also have a hard time removing the reef end.

If you really want a hook that is easy to release under a strain, I haven’t found a better solution than a snap shackle. This photo is of one on my weightbelt that replaced a brass suicide snap hook recently.

Weightbelt Snap Shackle.jpg

You can get several different stainless steel snap shackle sizes and styles from these guys for 5-$15: Shackle Hardware

They are usually much more expensive at a marine supply. The lanyard to assist pulling the pin is added separately, but required for divers. Some divers like a monkey-fist (decorative knot) on the end but I find it can snag and accidently open. The lanyard can be much simpler than the one in the photo and work just fine.

They may be suggesting a reef hook but chances are you will not be able to go on certain dives without one. Chances are it will cost a lot less here than there. It does protect the reef as you can hook onto an area that does not have live coral.

I wondered the same thing and asked my neighbor when he showed it to me. He said it wasn’t difficult to pull yourself against the currents he experienced to unhook either end. Someone with compromised hand function might have a problem but would also have a hard time removing the reef end.

Referring to the unfortunate Palau incident, my concern is in a rescue situation, where you may have to handle the dead weight (no pun intended) of another diver, not yourself, as you try to unhook them.

Referring to the unfortunate Palau incident, my concern is in a rescue situation, where you may have to handle the dead weight (no pun intended) of another diver, not yourself, as you try to unhook them.

Fair enough, I didn’t follow that incident. In that case a snap shackle is a better choice because:

• They have much higher safe working loads
  • Are effortless to release even under very high tension
  • Are more compact
  • You can drop a Scuba tank on them without damage
  • Can be found for the same or less money

The 1" Nylon webbing is nice because it folds much smaller than ~¼" line and the pouch is a nice touch. I can see combining its function with a Jon Line for more versatile solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom