Reef divers cayman brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished diving with their sister operation on Little Cayman, and we typically had 12-14 on the boat at any given time. I think we had 17 one set of morning dives, but for several of the afternoon dives we had 6-8. Reef Divers uses 42 and 46 foot Newton boats, and all the diving is from moored locations. So there is plenty of room for a group that size on the boats and no problem trying to get them all in the water at once like you would have if you were drift diving. If you want to do your own dive, get in the water first and do your thing. If you want to follow a DM, wait and be one of the last few in the water and the DM will jump in right behind you.

I just finished diving with their sister operation on Little Cayman, and we typically had 12-14 on the boat at any given time. I think we had 17 one set of morning dives, but for several of the afternoon dives we had 6-8. Reef Divers uses 42 and 46 foot Newton boats, and all the diving is from moored locations. So there is plenty of room for a group that size on the boats and no problem trying to get them all in the water at once like you would have if you were drift diving. If you want to do your own dive, get in the water first and do your thing. If you want to follow a DM, wait and be one of the last few in the water and the DM will jump in right behind you.
Or... jump in early, wait for everyone else to get in , and explore all the good stuff under the boat before anyone else gets there. You can do the same thing at the end, maybe even by yourself if you have demonstrated you are competent. Reef Divers on Little Cayman had no problem with this, my wife generally finished up a little earlier than I did (at or a little over their 60 minute limit). I will be on Cayman Brac Oct 23-30 as a solo, will let you know how it works out.

My diving on Cayman Brac was never more than 10 usually 8 or 9 and the DM joining. Boats have lots of room and the crews are excellent folks. Even when the weather got a little snarky they had a contingency dive location.

Max per boat is 19. I’ve never had it that full.

You don;t have a lot of choice, it's them or Scuba Shack.

Scuba Shack goes out with smaller groups and Caz is a great guide. Reef Divers was still good though.

They also have a smaller boat, so that makes sense. Scuba Shack has a 36' Newton. Four of Reef Divers' boats are 46' Newtons, and one is a 42' Newton.

It is either Reef Divers or Scuba Shack and Caz is very good. The experience can vary. Buddy teams can go off on their own or take the guided tour. The maximum size of the groups is about 17 but it can be far lower. You can usually expect about 17 to 12. Fewer people do three dives per day. Sometimes they take all of the afternoon divers out in one boat. Afternoon dives are usually a bit smaller as low as 6 or so.

The first morning dive is almost always a Wall dive at 110' max for 50 minutes max. The second dive is usually a shallow reef at 60' max for 60 minutes. The afternoon dive is also 60' max for 60 minutes but the depth restriction is not that strong. You usually have over two hours of surface interval so going down a bit deeper as long as you do not push your deco is not usually a problem. Also the time restrictions are a bit elastic. If you are in first, you can do longer dives if you do not delay things. They have a schedule to keep and as long as you do not mess that up, push your deco or run really low on air, it is usually ok.

Back
Top Bottom