Redundant Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a wrist mount dive computer that I use as a depth gauge. I have been thinking lately to get an analog depth gauge as a backup so if something goes wrong I have it to fall back on.

All the ones that I have found so far are on a pressure gauge. I want one that I can clip off or wrist mount on my other wrist. Has anyone come across one that this can be done to?

Sounds like you're looking for something like this.
DepthGauge.jpg

You can find them at pretty much any retailer, here is LeisurePro's selection You can also get just the gauge loose and then get a strap for it, but I'm not sure how interchangeable they are, if they are sort of standardized in size or not. I'd just get them as a unit and not sweat it.

Steve

If you are spending money on another depth gauge and ready to carry another device, why not spend a little more and buy some cheap wrist computer? You will get another depth gauge, timer and it will also back your dive profiles. If you are on a trip and your computer breaks, just the depth gauge won't let you dive, but the backup computer will.

I don't know what brand of SPG you use, but if it's one from Aqualung/Scubapro/Sherwood/Aeris/Oceanic then chances are you can retrofit it with a mount that will take a depth gauge as well. That way you'd have the SPG and depth gauge in one place instead of computer on one wrist and depth gauge on another wrist and compass on a third wrist.

If you are spending money on another depth gauge and ready to carry another device, why not spend a little more and buy some cheap wrist computer? You will get another depth gauge, timer and it will also back your dive profiles. If you are on a trip and your computer breaks, just the depth gauge won't let you dive, but the backup computer will.

agreed. my redundant depth gauge is really my redundant computer. it sits in my bcd pocket. i check it before every dive so that i know it still has battery power. if dead, then my redundant depth gauge becomes my buddy and her redundant dive computer.

Have you considered a redundant dive computer. I carry 2 computers, on all dives, whenever I will be doing multi-day diving. That way, if one goes bad, the other is up to speed on all my diving activities and can take over immediately. I use a Suunto Vyper on a hose-mount. I don't know if hose mounts are available any more. They were never very popular. But lately I've been thinking of replacing the backup computer with one of these... http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnbud/oceanic-bud-backup-dive-computer
These have a clip-mount that you can clip to any ring on your BCD.

couple options. With no deco obligations and no overhead environment, you don't really need one, it's ideal to avoid too quick of an ascent, but you can gauge it decently well by feel especially if looking at an anchor line.

You can knot your SMB ever 5ft or 10ft to gauge your ascent rate, won't be perfect but will be good enough. Watching the upline, or an SMB line that is knotted is actually going to be more accurate than watching an analog depth gauge. Computer failure=dives done, so you're only using it for ascent.

I keep an analog depth gauge in my pocket that is tied to a clip and just lives in there in case I need it.

Grandpa, may want to look at the Hollis DG03 instead, extra $50, but has AI option if you want it, is multigas, and has gauge mode... Watch style so is easier to read and less likely to get crushed than one clipped to your bc

Grandpa, may want to look at the Hollis DG03 instead, extra $50, but has AI option if you want it, is multigas, and has gauge mode... Watch style so is easier to read and less likely to get crushed than one clipped to your bc
Thanks for the suggestion!! I'll look at it.

Back
Top Bottom