Redundancy w/doubles in warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you're diving in warm water with doubles, without a drysuit, what kind of redundancy are you using with respect to bouyancy?

Daryl

Not sure why you would need buoyancy "redundancy" - I wear a 3mm wetsuit and use AL80 doubles here in Thailand - I am slightly negative wearing the whole setup (using aluminium backplate) with my can light and deco bottle (with 30 BAR of backgas and empty wing) but I can swim the rig up in the unlikely event of "total" wing/BC "failure."

onfloat:
yeah, I did it quick and then felt like it was too short and I didn't feel like a long explination. Especially when we have you:D
Well I can't answer this guy because I would be diving a balanced rig with a drysuit. :wink:

matt_unique:
Dual bladder wing....one hose to each post. Some people consider a lift bag a means of backup.

--Matt

Is what I have been told. I'm thinking catastrophic here. You are wearing a single wing, no dual bladder and no drysuit. Doubles are obviously going to be a lot of weight. I've heard of people using two wings, one as a back-up and the other was a lift bag. I went on a trip to Key Largo and it opened a lot of questions. I'm used to cold deep fresh water dives like Gilboa. I rarely am outside of my drysuit unless I'm at the zoo volunteering. Some people have answers that I might not have heard or think of. If I don't ask, I won't every know.

JeffG:
Well I can't answer this guy because I would be diving a balanced rig with a drysuit. :wink:

I would normally be diving a balanced rig with a drysuit. I'm thinking outside the box here. Let's think 3 mil with a set of doubles. I've been in a 7 mil with doubles and I wear no weight, as I figure no one does, unless I'm the only one that plummets like a rock unless I add air to my wing or drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom