Reducing the bubble noise of open circuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second dual hose.

Few years back I came across a defuser design some photographers used but haven't enjoyed trying to exhale through a long silencer style exhaust myself.

Regards,
Cameron
(Now on a rebreather for further fishy stealth)

I notice after a while that the noise of the bubbles sort of becomes annoying. There is a low frequency rumble that I can't tell where it is coming from, though I assume it is the fast-flowing bubbles streaming up from the regulator exhaust ports, past my ears on their way to the surface.

Aside from getting a rebreather, is there any way to deal with this, to get the bubble stream away from my ears?

The most obvious is to have longer exhaust ports on the regulator that stick far out to the sides like handlebars on a bicycle, away from my face, or have some sort of fine mesh "bubble diffuser" exhaust to break up the large bubbles.

Has anyone tried silencing open-circuit to reduce the bubble noise?
did you sort it? as i'm facing the same issue and i'm looking for a fix

did you sort it? as i'm facing the same issue and i'm looking for a fix

The OP hasn’t been on SB (at least signed in) since 2020.

I was looking at the kraken as suggested in this tread but sadly the owner died and they stopped the product. That's what I understood

I was looking at the kraken as suggested in this tread but sadly the owner died and they stopped the product. That's what I understood
But @herman, and @Luis H are still here and might know if there are any plans to have the Kraken (and the Phoenix and HPR stages) moved to another manufacturer/supplier. Would be a shame if these do not continue.

rx7diver

The Kraken is no longer available, and few with that regulator will part with it. But on E-Bay, you can pick up a used DA Aquamaster or Royal Aquamaster (with a balanced first stage) for under $200. If you do, then come over to the Vintage Scuba Community Forum and we'll enjoy conversing with you about rebuilding that regulator. You can buy some parts from Vintage Scuba Supply, or from The Scuba Museum.

There are a number of different double hose regulators, some better than others. The Gold Label Healthways Scuba regulator is a great alternative to the Aquamester, but you'll not have any low pressure ports. Same with the U.S. Divers Company Mistral regulator, as both are single stage regulators. The way around this is to dive a double tank system with a duel post manifold, and put the double hose on the center post (Sherwood manifold). These come up on E-Bay occasionally.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Sherwood valve.jpg
    Sherwood valve.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 34
Another good option is a Trieste.. Has an HP and an LP port (you can run a splitter if needed). With the FX cans from The Scuba Museum you can use USD main diaphragms (which will probably be available forever-ish). Or there are a couple options out there for main diaphragms for the original Trieste. There are also mods for the second stage to increase the venturi if desired. Here's an example one of my friends on General Discussion | Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum has listed:

Respectfully,

James

The other option is to go with a Nemrod Snark III. There is a whole thread about equipping the Snark III with both LP and HP ports, in the Vintage Scuba area of ScubaBoard.

Now, the most silent of all the regulators I have are the DA Aqualung (from the early 1950s) and the DX Overpressure. The DA Aqualung is a rather hard breathing regulator, without a Venturi, so you have to suck each breath completely out of the scuba. The DX Overpressure Breathing regulator, on the other hand, actually has better performance than the Mistral, both by U.S. Divers Company. The reason the DX Overpressure Breathing regulator is so quiet is that the Venturi air is piped to the mouthpiece by a small tube inside the inhalation hose. Some divers don’t like the velocity of the air coming into the mouthpiece, which led to the subsequent revisions by U.S. Divers Company, first to the Stream Air/Jet Air regulator and then to the Mistral. The Mistral caught on, but is rather noisy on inhalation. The Mistral also has better breathing characteristics than the DA Aquamaster (as shown by U.S. Navy EDU tests).

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom