Reducing the bubble noise of open circuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eh, I do not like the double-hose corrugated hoses. Although I have never used them I can tell just by looking at them that:
- airflow is restricted by turbulence from the corrugations, which is why the diameter needs to be so huge
- If you get water in it, every one of those corrugations forms a small circular well to trap water

People are probably using those giant corrugated hoses because "Sea Hunt" / nostalgia, and back when double hose was used the material technology of the time sucked so corrugations were the only solution to inflexible tough materials.

I really do not care about "corrugation" nostalgia at all. I want performance. I have a tiny ultraflexible 2nd regulator hose with a free floating swivel so the hose isn't constantly trying to yank the regulator out of my mouth and causing jaw strain....

DPs6aXq.png

Using the same smooth-wall modern flexible hose technology with a gimbal on a dual hose would probably allow a diameter reduction to half the size of the antique corrugated style, without any increase in flow restriction, and no more water trapping wells all along the length of it.

Uh, just no. For the same reasons state of the art rebreathers do not use smooth hoses of half the diameter. I think you are missing some basic physics in your understanding of why the hoses on a double hose open circuit or on a rebreather or on a SCABA are corrugated and of large diameter. It has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Said again, if one is not willing to learn a new normal best stay with what one is comfortable with. An example from recent politics, normal is a state of mind or view or vantage point, that is the only way to explain a schizophrenic electorate. For me, single hose regulators with the same old fashioned tinsy little rubber hoses yanking on my teeth making all that racket are un-normal, sheeeez.

N

Last edited:
Eh, I do not like the double-hose corrugated hoses. Although I have never used them I can tell just by looking at them that:
- airflow is restricted by turbulence from the corrugations, which is why the diameter needs to be so huge
- If you get water in it, every one of those corrugations forms a small circular well to trap water

People are probably using those giant corrugated hoses because "Sea Hunt" / nostalgia, and back when double hose was used the material technology of the time sucked so corrugations were the only solution to inflexible tough materials.

I really do not care about "corrugation" nostalgia at all. I want performance. I have a tiny ultraflexible 2nd regulator hose with a free floating swivel so the hose isn't constantly trying to yank the regulator out of my mouth and causing jaw strain....

DPs6aXq.png

Using the same smooth-wall modern flexible hose technology with a gimbal on a dual hose would probably allow a diameter reduction to half the size of the antique corrugated style, without any increase in flow restriction, and no more water trapping wells all along the length of it.

Confucius say :
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. "

Yep, you have to use something personally to know how it works. Understanding something through scientific and physical principles is not how it is done. If you have no direct experience your opinion is invalid. Just ignore the following and move along..

Calculation of Pressure Loss in Corrugated Hoses - Penflex

Friction Factor for Transient Flow in Transverse Corrugated Pipes | Journal of Fluids Engineering | ASME DC

First off, making thing in caps, bold or larger does no impress anyone. It basically says you don't have a valid argument so you are trying to use bullying to force your opinion on others...

I agree with you that calculations are a good place to start and learn but you also have to understand what the numbers you are getting mean....or at least pay attention to them. In the Penflex example you quote, did you bother to look at and understand the text? The third paragraph is important. In their example a 85 ft hose flowing the volume of 17.5, 80 cf scuba tanks per hour (1400 cf/h) would have a loss of 0.383 psi (air density is 0.076lb/ft3 - I did do that math) for the entire length of the hose or 0.005 psi for one foot of hose. That is nothing. Now I'm not going to do the math but I think it's obvious that the pressure drop across a foot of hose, flowing at a much lower rate is going to have a really small drop. Yes the hose is smaller so the pressure drop will increase due to it but again, it's not going to be great at the flow rates of a diver breathing. I recently put my VDH Argonaut DH reg on a regulator testing machine that a large scuba reg service center recently purchased. On inhalation, it was much better than new, top of the line Scubapro and Atomic regulators until the flow rates got very high, way above rates that a human can breath....through the 1 in corrugated hose.

On your second point, that the corrugations hold water, you are correct but that is not a problem other than it does make them a little harder to dry out, it has no appreciable effect on breathing.

Some of the people you are arguing with design, manufacture and regularly dive DH regulators. We have a lot of experience with them, so bold text and throwing web links at us that you don't understand is not going to impress us. If you don't care to learn the facts about DH regs fine, but IMO you are missing a very different and interesting facet of diving.

Yep, you have to use something personally to know how it works. Understanding something through scientific and physical principles is not how it is done. If you have no direct experience your opinion is invalid. Just ignore the following and move along..

Friction Factor for Transient Flow in Transverse Corrugated Pipes | Journal of Fluids Engineering | ASME DC

Luis could really go to town with this but I expect he is still unpacking from Cozumel.

Oh baloney. Some of us actually went to school and did not get our education from the interwebs, the modern equivalent of reading the encyclopedia. The air in the hoses is at ambient pressure and low velocity and the flow in the center of the hose is not turbulent in a static system at these velocities and densities. But this is not a static system, the hoses curve and straighten lengthen and contract and twist as the diver moves about. You mentioned smooth wall hoses of 1/2 the diameter? Do you not understand that reducing the diameter would have more effect on pressure drop than a large diameter hose with corrugations? In a system involving a human it is not strictly mechanics at play but also the human dynamics and fit, form and function of the device with the human integrated. A diver is not static, he is always moving, twisting, turning, the hoses must be able to conform to the diver and by some means be flexible and able to expand and contract in length.

Here we have companies designing and building state of the art rebreathers, sport, military and commercial that cost upwards of $10,000 to ten time that amount, and they have corrugated flexible hoses! The purpose of the corrugations is not nostalgia, it is to allow the hoses to expand and contract in length. The velocity in the hoses is low, the greater restrictions in the system are the one way cage valves and exhaust valve. As an integrated system, the hoses are not the weakest link or greatest contributor to flow restriction.

The flow rates of these hoses exceeds that of any reasonable demand at sport diving depths as equal to that of any single hose regulator. There is nothing to be gained from going to a smooth wall. Now, I would love to reduce the diameter, but that would adversely affect the flow rate, no go there. There are ways to produce a smooth inner wall, at greater cost and reduced flexibility and the benefit at the Reynolds numbers that the flow in a SCUBA hose at ambient pressure, the gain is minimal.

Look, you have an aesthetics issue with the larger diameter corrugated hoses whilst accusing us of having a nostalgia fetish. DH regulators are not for everybody, neither are single hose, thus the market. If one is not willing to learn a new normal then they should stay with what they are accustomed to. And continue to have the bubbles beating your ears.

IMG_6923_zpsvjb09g2o.jpg

There was an article about fish brains recently in one of the photog rags, it seems that fish, not being terribly smart, have a built in stimulus threshold. Stimulus above that threshold results in flight, and a photo of a tail of a fleeing fish. Stimulus below the threshold does not cause the fish to turn and flee and it continues it's behavior. Noise, size, erratic movements, speed all contribute to reaching that stimulus threshold. How do you think having bubbles exploding from the side of your face would affect that stimulus threshold in a fish subject, whether photographing or just observing as you approach? This is why many photographers and naturists do use double hose regulators. Now, instead of rebuilding an antique, you can purchase a new one. And of course that is just one of several reasons some divers prefer a dh regulator, in addition to the weighless mouthpiece and reduced bubble noise.

Not fair, but notice who is closer, I am about two feet away (shooting a semi fisheye lens).

IMG_6910_zpsk8gjansa.jpg

The grouper seems to prefer me to the other USO :happywave:.

Of course, a RB is the ultimate solution, unfortunately the fatality rate of closed circuit divers seems a little higher than that of double hose open circuit divers. Maybe someday the technology will close that gap, but my bet is they will still have corrugated rubber hoses when they do. Rebreathers are awfully bulky and restrictive, hoses aside, they need some major shrinkage of the entire package.

N

Last edited:
All regulators have positional differences. Said before, if one is not willing to learn a new normal then one should stay with what they know. N

As a (relatively) newbie diver, I have no problem learning new skills and reflexes if it helps me with my ultimate goal of getting better pictures...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom