Red & white dive flag - a short history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Sam Miller III :

this was in a sales email from Momentum Watches (Vancouver BC)...

upload_2019-2-18_9-53-49.png

thought you might get a "chuckle" out of it....

@rhwestfall
Thanks for the heads up --appreciated--(stay warm and dry)

Is Momentum Watches serious ?

I suspect with in a very short time after a certain article is published in a national magazine they will be changing their advertisements

There is absolutely no record of Doc Dockery having ANY involvement with the development, promotion or establishment of the red & white flag as a flag of recreational diving!

Sam Miller, 111.

There is absolutely no record of Doc Dockery having ANY involvement with the development, promotion or establishment of the red & white flag as a flag of recreational diving!

As near as I can determine, there is no corroboration of Dockery's comparatively recent claims that are not solely based on his claims, unlike Ted Nixon's fairly extensive papertrail. The Red & White flag was well established in the US by the time I became a diver in 1962 so I have no first hand information, unlike @Sam Miller III.

Question/flag trivia: Does anyone remember a Red & White flag in any of the Sea Hunt episodes? Sea Hunt was around the time that the flag was proposed by Nixon.

I did find a brief reference to the Bravo flag in the first US Navy Diving Manual from 1916, but only in the gear inventory checklist. I couldn't find any reference to flags in the 1943 USN Diving Manual (Alfa or Bravo). The Bravo Flag references I could find indicates that the Royal Navy started using it in the 1880s to for transferring dangerous cargo -- mainly munitions.

I think that @Bob DBF was a signalman in the Navy and might know more about the original use of the Bravo Flag, beyond using it in combination with others for the letter "B".

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-18_9-53-49-png.505955.png
    upload_2019-2-18_9-53-49-png.505955.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 129
Wasen't a proffessional skivvy waver in the Navy, except in the s**t disturber meaning of the phrase. Just have a a wide range of useless knowledge that lets me occasionally answer a question.

Have a range of BJMs, and submarine, Naval, and military books in my library, now if I had time to arrange it properly after the move.

Bob
--------------
Submariner. ET1(SS) RO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom