Red Tide in the northern Gulf Of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Red tide is being reported in Panama City Beach, Destin, Pensacola Beaches in Florida as well as Orange Beach and Gulf Shores in Alabama. They are testing Ft Morgan, Mobile Bay, and Dauphin Island soon to check on ride tides in these areas as well.

The red tides are responsible for fish kills, and other marine life debilitations as well as skin, eye, and respitory irritation in humans.

Hopefully, they won't last long...

I was just going to mention this. I am now 0 for 3 on Panama City dive trips this year. Katrina, Rita, and now the dreaded Red Tide.

Moral of the story: before you plan a dive trip, check with me. If I'm going, choose another date. There *will* be a disaster.

:crossbone

I should also warn everybody to stay away from St. Thomas 10/12 - 10/18.

sanders i canceled a trip to key largo due to the damn storm. I will probably be going down to morrison tomorrow. are you interested? it would be quite a drive for you from atl.

Morrison will be über clear this weekend.

Red Tide is being reported in Pensacola again, by the way.

For those who want to learn more about the Red Tides, There is a good wirte up in the October 2005 Dive Training...

philmottrek99and02:
Guess you have not had a chance to dive the Whiskey wreck yet? When we gonna do that Mat?

Someone on MBT Diver's Forum posted 6" of relief on a dive they made last week.

I was in Gulf Shores yesterday getting a new spearfishing liscense and checked out the site of the Whiskey Wreck. Big surf and low vis, so I didn't get in - still not as big as the last time me and you went out there.

I'll probably have to place a Whikey Wreck dive down in priority list, right after a I change the new strings in my git-tar. I sent you a PM.
Howard

SuPrBuGmAn:
Someone on MBT Diver's Forum posted 6" of relief on a dive they made last week.

I was in Gulf Shores yesterday getting a new spearfishing liscense and checked out the site of the Whiskey Wreck. Big surf and low vis, so I didn't get in - still not as big as the last time me and you went out there.

We should probably plan a dive to Navarre's Fishing Pier when the surf calms a bit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom