Red Sea - Wreck of Salem Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m_BK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A dive on the famous wreck of the Salem Express. We start the dive on the port side of the wreck. through a hatch we reach the cargo hold and the on-board restaurant. Continuing at the screw of the wreck, we dive along the upper deck and end the dive at the level of the ship's bridge. Due to the history and related tragedy of it`s sinking - a dive at the Salem Express should always be done with the greatest respect.

thanks.

yes, i wanted to do this dive for years - but after it happened - i think i wouldn't go again inside.

thanks.

yes, i wanted to do this dive for years - but after it happened - i think i wouldn't go again inside.

Tell me that you wouldn't do a dive on the MS Estonia if you had a chance.
My father survived the sinking of the Leupoldsville back in 44, and the fact that 808 people died on it, including 763 soldiers of the 66th ID wouldn't keep me from diving it.

Michael

I've dived both the Salem Express and the Leopoldsville.

I must have dived the Salem Express relatively soon after the disaster. Didn't know the history when i entered the water, but found it a very uncomfortable dive. Found out about its history once back on the deck and was very unhappy they choose her as a site. I'm not sure that I would want to dive it again.

The Leopoldville I've dived a few times. The first dive was awful, we had all sorts of issues, my buddy and I got caught in line. The shot was dragged down, huge tide, very dark, poor vis', the whole group found it quite scary. With the lose of the shot we ended drifting across the entrance to Cherbourg harbour, not a good thing to do.
I've dived her a few times since, mostly an excellent dive, I've never forgotten the first and always treat the site with a huge amount of respect. She is truly magnificent, especially in good vis'.

It is some times very easy to forget the tragedies surrounding the majority of ship wrecks, especially with the passing of time.

Tell me that you wouldn't do a dive on the MS Estonia if you had a chance.
My father survived the sinking of the Leupoldsville back in 44, and the fact that 808 people died on it, including 763 soldiers of the 66th ID wouldn't keep me from diving it.

Michael

hmmh, i never thought about diving the Estonia.

After Salem i don't had a good mood to crawl through the closed and open luggage of lost or maybe still living people - everything else on the dive was fine for me.

You shouldn't feel that bad about diving the Salem Express, the passengers were returning pilgrims from the Mekka Hadj and were therefore blessed.

Michael

That's a post where i regret there is no "dislike" botton here or an admin to delte this.
That's more than not appropriate!
:vomit:

oh but wait: is see a "Report" button.
Can't agree:( They died in a state of grace, which for believers is important. It's still a tragedy but their ascent to heaven was assured.

Michael

Great video, thanks, hope to visit it within the next few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom