Red Sea (Again) or Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far out prior to a trip do most of you guys make your travel arrangements for getting to/from Raja Ampat? In a typical year? And what about this year, in light of the pandemic-related issues?

Coincidently, media reports indicate that some airlines are now going to be cancelling/adding flights in the coming year based on status of pandemic and public health rules. Airlines will reportedly schedule flights 6 to 8 weeks in advance instead of 6 months to a year ahead in order to be able to quickly add or remove flights based on seat sales.

So, this is likely to create bottlenecks and uncertainty for a large number of routes. This will no doubt be exacerbated by virtue of the fact that COVID 19 vaccination roll out in developing countries is likely to lag behind the rest of the world for some time.

Here's a place I just started to book...nice resort, modern design rather than bungalows. Fast boats get you to the dive sites.

Meridian Adventure: Liquid Diving Adventures - Meridian Adventure Dive Resort

I usually book domestic flights about 3 months out. The schedules frequently change so making a reservation further out doesn't make much sense. This year is another story.

How far out prior to a trip do most of you guys make your travel arrangements for getting to/from Raja Ampat? In a typical year? And what about this year, in light of the pandemic-related issues?

NORMALLY:
Three months for the flights within Indo.

A year plus for the LOB reservations, and maybe for the dive lodge reservations, depending on the lodge.

THIS YEAR:
We made our reservations a year out because, with the vaccine coming, we envision a LARGE uptick in travelers a soon as people begin to feel more comfortable. We chose Sorido Bay (a land resort on Kri) and Solitude Adventurer because they both had low (5% or 10%) deposit requirements. We are concerned that the COVID situation might change or might not progress in Indo as fast as in the West, or (worst case) the LOB might go belly-up. After all, we don't know anything about these companies.

- Bill

Get your international flights sorted asap. Which means know which airlines fly where, how much they cost and what their terms and conditions are. Then assume everything will change and things could get costly. But - some airlines are doing deals eg Qatar Airlines are currently offering a "change dates as many times as you want for whatever reason" deal. And if you do have to change, how much is the change fee? It might be worth it if the original deal is good. Prediction in the UK is that people are already booking holidays abroad, divers will be determined to get going, so do your homework now. Hotels - book on a free cancellation basis. LOBs - with caution, consider what could you lose. Perhaps hold off and get on their mailing lists for notification of deals etc. And if you don't get on that LOB, what land-based options are there?

I just got a straightforward immediate full refund for a major multi-hopper to see rellies in Australia and on into Indonesia. In the UK you are in a much stronger position if you have a package deal - so I put in a couple of days in one hotel to make the flights a package. Do the maths. Get all your research in place. Question. Would you rather have something reasonably good booked, or would you prefer to wait and see what happens? Prediction - by the time you get there, anywhere worth going to dive will be booked up.

A friend who has been in the travel industry for years advised me to get flights into the major hubs, like Singapore, Tokyo etc booked first. Because if you don't you won't be going anywhere. After that you can work out if you turn right, left or go straight on from there. And she's absolutely right.

And yes, I've got my flights booked into Jakarta already. Very good price. Took best-guess on dates and I will change (subject to availability) if I need to. An extra amount for changes is budgeted in.

I hate smug posts!

Back
Top Bottom