Red Sea (Again) or Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 Garuda as they are a bit more reliable in terms of on time flights and they have a good Sports Bag allowance for baggage. They will be more expensive than other options however.

Something to be aware of "on time" in Indonesia means leaving within half an hour of the scheduled time and it is very possible to have flights delayed for hours. This is more likely on flights leaving from remote places late in the day. Always recommend that you leave at least 8 hours or more between your last domestic flight and your first international flight. I always stay overnight in Jakarta or Denpasar both coming and going. Coming to recover from jet lag and going to allow for delays. One flight out of Sorong was delayed until the next day, several have been delayed by hours.

I don't know what links out of Toronto or Ottawa to Asia look like but from Vancouver the choices are to fly to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Manila or China (Hong Kong or Beijing) and then on to Jakarta. With the situation in China re the two Michaels I am no longer flying through China - which in the past has been very good both for price and service. So Japan is my current route of choice using ANA. You may have a polar route to Japan that works. I have done Taiwan and it was also very good.

Hands down, Raja Ampat. Why do you think they call it the heart of marine biodiversity. Now the real question might be Raja Ampat or the Philippines. That is a better comparison.

Take a look at this publication: PHILIPPINES DIVE ADVENTURES

Thanks, @Dan.

I've been reviewing various trip reports and other sources, and it appears there is not much in the way of diving out of Sorong itself. I've noted places like Kri, but would like to minimize lengthy water transfers if possible prior to LOB.

Any suggestions for something not too logistically challenging for a 3-4 night stay with diving? Budget not too tight for this trip, so happy to pay for a bit of comfort.

I have been to this resort, ~ 10 years ago.
Raja Ampat Dive Lodge – Grand Komodo
The bungalows have AC with reasonable accommodation price, great food, and it’s only 2-hour speed boat ride from Sorong to Mansuar island in Dampier Strait, which is one of the best dive sites in Raja Ampat.

I don't know what links out of Toronto or Ottawa to Asia...

Lots of options, but naturally some better than others. Added to this, I suspect that many potential flights are not being published due to downturn in air travel

You need to find out where the LoB departs from(Sorong or Waisai).
I believe it is about an hr private transfer between Kri and Waisai which is connected to Sorong by regular ferry.
Garuda is the one but there is NO flight out from Canada.
If you are looking to stop over at Manado then Singapore is preferred but unfortunately there is NO direct flight between Canada and Singapore!!! I could never understand that!

How far out prior to a trip do most of you guys make your travel arrangements for getting to/from Raja Ampat? In a typical year? And what about this year, in light of the pandemic-related issues?

Back
Top Bottom