Red Filter - when to use, when not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for an off-the-topic question. Marty, I saw that you had some 3D videos made with the GoPro. How do you like them? Is it a lot more time consuming editing 3D. I do not have a 3D monitor, so I cannot watch your videos.

3D does take more time as you need to adjust the 3D convergence settings for best 3D effect using the free GoPro software, It pretty much just adds that one more step to editing. Beyond that its pretty much the same but its a fairly steep learning curve to get that bit sorted when you first work with the 3D footage. There are some issues caused by the auto colour settings in the GoPro cameras too which should be eliminated once the pro-tune firmware gets released making balancing the frames much easier.

I only have the EOM 3D housing with no filters and since using filters I dont like the footage much from a clear lens and this is the only current 3D housing that can be used vignette free in wide modes underwater. Id much prefer a housing with good quality filters but I have recently got some lights so they can overcome the lack of colour.

Using filters and lights both are trying to do the same thing but they both go about it very differently. Distance from subject limitations with lights and depth limitations with filters so I like to have both options available and filters are much cheaper and easier to work with too.

So what about deep water? clear conditions - 70ft vis, 70-100ft deep? the Red filter should be used in that situation correct?

From personal experience, at 100ft the image will be very noisy with red filter. I would use lights and leave the background blue. The sensor in the go pro is not big enough to handle the limited light at that depth with the added reduction form the red filter.

Red filters work to max 85 feet depending on quality assuming you have a sunny day and good light
In darker conditions they don't perform well and you are better off without
Also the other theory needs checking, red filter do give a hue in the first meters however this also depends on the amount of light you have on a very bright day you can get to 45 feet without otherwise after 3 feet you need it
But below 85 it just does not work...the filter does not create more noise is the lack of light that gives problems

So I'm clear, here is what I'm taking away from everyone's comments.

15ft and above - Don't use the red filter, natural light penetrates deep enough and the filter is not needed.
15-40ft - the Magic filter seems to work flawlessly and does what is expected.
40-65ft - The red filter still seems to work well - assuming it's a sunny clear day.
65ft -85ft - This is a red filters maximum depth on a perfect day with tons of vis.
100+ ft - You're best to remove the red filter (thank you Backscatter for ease of removing the magic filter) - unless you're sporting a light.

To sum it all up... 85ft is your maximum on a good vis, sunny day. Do not use a red filter anywhere above 15ft. To use beyond 85ft, you're going to want a light setup to reduce noise.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

What about using an orange filter, like this, for depths below 85ft? I picked up this three pack of filters and have used the magenta filter at a local quarry but was planning on using the orange filter for a wreck diving trip to NC this summer.

What about using an orange filter, like this, for depths below 85ft? I picked up this three pack of filters and have used the magenta filter at a local quarry but was planning on using the orange filter for a wreck diving trip to NC this summer.

Looks like a good idea. Different filters for different depths. Let us know how it works out.

So what about deep water? clear conditions - 70ft vis, 70-100ft deep? the Red filter should be used in that situation correct?

This is at ~100ft (~30m) on overcast day with SRP blur fix and red filter in first scene. No filter in second scene. No post processing. Poor framing but easy to see difference in colour and noise.

https://vimeo.com/41396662

I have some other comparisons at other depths with and without filter - will upload soon

Last edited:
This is at ~100ft (~30m) on overcast day with SRP blur fix and red filter in first scene. No filter in second scene. No post processing. Poor framing but easy to see difference in colour and noise.

https://vimeo.com/41396662

I have some other comparisons at other depths with and without filter - will upload soon

WOW, the red filter at 100ft is extremely noisy as compared to no filter use. Great comparision, thanks very much. BTW, that shark is aweseome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom