Red filter scratches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gls

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had DIY advice for minor scratching on a redfilter. Any repair options, or am I better off just bending over and dropping my drawers for ikelite?

probably not on a red filter though....

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had DIY advice for minor scratching on a redfilter. Any repair options, or am I better off just bending over and dropping my drawers for ikelite?

Ikelite red filters are plexiglass and have the same refraction as water, so any scratches will not show up underwater. At least that is how it was explained to me.
I got some major scratches including one deep gouge on mine back in 2006 after an ugly crash-and-burn shore dive in Bonaire. I literally had to use my camcorder to block a large boulder of dead coral from cracking my head open as I got thrown around in the surf. I was glad I had the red filter ON when I started into the water as otherwise I would have scratched the front lens area and that would have sucked. (I ended up with bloody scrapes all over my hands and the red filter scratches.)
From a local camera expert and Ikelite both, I was assured that my red filter scratches meant nothing, so I kept using it for several years and hundreds of dives and never saw any issues in my videos. :D

robin:D

I don't care for U/W filters, but If you really need one, I would also suggest the Novus plastic scratch remover, but you may find the work needed to acheive a perfect finish is more that it is worth.
I would either get a new one, or buy a editing program that can do the correction.
You should get better results with the program - once you learn the process.
As far as the scratches go...for SD video they might be fine, but if you are shooting with a higer res camera, or HD video, the scratches will be an issue. (an autofocus camera might even choose to focus on them.)
Note: I shoot mostly in deeper water, and any filter would cut my light too much, mostly resulting in more "noise"

Hi Robin: I checked out a few of your videos. Nice work. I appreciate your response. My Ikelite filter for my Zi8 got some scratches and I was ready to toss it and buy a new one. I only use it as a back up as I have a wide angle lens on the housing so the Ikelite filter doesn't fit the new lens. However, I wanted to have the filter as a backup. Knowing it can still be used is a big help. Thanks for the response.
Dr Mark

Back
Top Bottom