Red Filter on Focus Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetpilot379

Registered
Reaction score
I know that when taking a photo of a Pygmy Seahorse with a focus light, they always seem to turn away from the lens. (I suppose I would too if a flood light was blasting in my eyes!) I’ve heard that if you have a red filter on the light, critters will not generally turn away, but your camera will still auto-focus as it can use the red light as well as white light to focus. True???

I will be buying a Fisheye FIX Light HG20DX very soon and wonder if I should by the red filter with it. Your thoughts please….

D-200 in S&S Housing, ULCS arms, dual SB105's, dual SS200's. 12-24 DX, 105 VR Macro.

I've found that especially invertebrates seem to tolerate the red light better. However, don't expect the difference to be huge. In my own limited experience using a red diffuser caused the animal to back away more slowly compared to white light, but in some if not most instances still too fast for a good shot. Brittle stars seem to be especially sensitive - the red filter seems to make almost no difference. With crustaceans, the red light does help I'd say. In my opinion, if you are willing to fork out 400 bucks for the Fixlight, you might as well spend another 50 for the diffuser. As long as you don't expect it to work miracles, I think it does help.

I shoot the D200 in the S&S as well. I use the Fix Light all the time when I shoot the 105mm VR. I used the red filter for my night dives when I was down in Curacao. I found that you could get a lot closer to teh subject with the filter on the light. I was able to shoot mating Hamlets while my dive buddy, who was not using a red filter, could not.

I forgot to add that the red focus light can also mean the difference between capturing an image of an octopus at night with its eyes open as opposed to using a traditional white focus light......and capturing the same subject with it's eyes shut (wouldn't we all close our eyes if someone was aiming a white light directly at them.......especially at night!)

A test to make sure that your camera can focus with the red light is simple...........set up a target five-seven feet away from the lens in a dark room ..........see if your camera can lock in on focus with only the aid of the red light.............my Oly passed the test.

Fisheyeview: I've read your responses in previous posts and they're always very objective and informative. Sounds like the red filter would be even more beneficial on the 60mm macro as you need to get much closer than the 105. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom