Red Creature with yellow horns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiverjackcook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On November 15th, 2008, I was diving in about 35 feet of water on the front side of Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands, California, USA, at a dive site named Valdez. As I took a picture of a Red Gorgonian, I noticed a red creature that appeared to have two yellow horns and what appeared to be two pectoral fins adapted for bottom walking that had yellow distal margins. The red body appeared to be spotted with a black pattern much like a strawberry. It was probably about 5 inches long. Portions of the body were obscured by a rock. I saw it as I was taking a picture of the gorgonian, but the surge pushed me around a boulder and I was unable to get a clear shot of the creature. I think I have seen a picture of it recently in a magazine, but I haven't been able to find it in any of my back issues or my reference books. I have Googled it for days to no avail. I am attaching the picture of the gorgonian. The creature is located below and to the left of the Red Gorgonian. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• HPIM3377.jpg
    HPIM3377.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 151
Perhaps a flying gunard?

Attachments

• fg_1024.jpg
    fg_1024.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 101
I think the Channel Islands are outside the range of the various species of Flying Gurnard. The pectoral fins are much stubbier and the coloration is uniformly brighter red. The FG is not listed in Paul Humann's "Coastal Fish Identification: California to Alaska." I have the First Edition. There is a new edition out now, but I don't think it includes the FG either. Thanks.

1st - neither of those pics is a flying gurnard
2nd - really had to id from a picture like that but it looks like it may be some time of frogfish, as to which species though, I have not idea : best guess Antennariidae spp.

Maybe it's my eyes, but it looks more like a partially curled bat star to me. Look at the "texture" on the skin. I wasn't aware we had frogfish in the Channel Islands, Leslie... very interesting. Thanks.

After checking the link in Leslie's post, I see that this frogfish is limited to Catalina as far as Channel Islands records go. Undoubtedly it is limited to the SE leeward coast where the water is at its warmest. I would find it hard to accept that it might be found in the cooler waters off Santa Cruz. It is in this region (Long Point to the East End) that I see occasionals from Mexico such as the Guadalupe cardinalfish, some wrasses and others have seen a Mexican moray. Of course the butterflyfish is there as well, but it is actually a cool water tropical fish. My guess is that the location record on Catalina was from this region and possibly located during a warm water episode (before we started calling them El Ninos).

I agree, the first is not a flying gurnard, if the second isn't then tell me what it is?

Back
Top Bottom