Recreational wireless computer options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's time to replace my 15yr old air integrated Suunto Cobra computer and I want to go wireless.

I dive recreational only, would like a large display, not watch size. I've been happy with my Suunto, but don't mind going with a different brand.

What's popular and recommended ?

If I may, Ive got a Suunto Vytec with transmitter for sale, $400
Pluses- same software, familiar with use, large display,
Not so plus- can be a multi-gas, tec computer.

There are lots out there, check liesurepro, scuba toys and diverightinscuba. That'll give you an idea of what features you want and prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are happy with Cobra I would say stay on Suunto. The Vytec is a great choice and you won't be lost as the logic is very close. You may also look at the Vyper.

If I may, Ive got a Suunto Vytec with transmitter for sale, $400
Pluses- same software, familiar with use, large display,
Not so plus- can be a multi-gas, tec computer.

There are lots out there, check liesurepro, scuba toys and diverightinscuba. That'll give you an idea of what features you want and prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Not looking for used.

Took your advice and researched around. Found computers with LCD display, similar to my Cobra, but with a wireless transducer. Suunto Vyper Air, Oceanic VT4.1, Galileo Luna, etc.. The VT 4.1 with transducer looks like a good deal at $700.

Then some newer technology computers with LED display. The Liquivision Lynx looks real interesting with it's longer range and ability to locate transducers.

Really interested to hear people's opinions of the newer LED computers.

computers are nice I just can't get over the cost of the transmitters for the little benefit they actually give you. I can see it with watch sized computers because then for a true recreational rig for travel you just ditch the SPG completely and have a nice small computer that you wear as a watch the whole trip. For a large computer display and if you're planning on running an analog SPG as backup, just run wired. It can save you a lot of money and hassle. What we really need is something like the Petrel EXT but with a HP transmitter instead of reading O2 readings, but that isn't going to happen.

You may also want to wait and see what the price of the SeaBear HUDC is going to be. That might be a good option for you as well. No need for the large display since it is near eye, it is designed to work on standard regulators or FFM's. Shouldn't be all that bad price wise.

computers are nice I just can't get over the cost of the transmitters for the little benefit they actually give you. I can see it with watch sized computers because then for a true recreational rig for travel you just ditch the SPG completely and have a nice small computer that you wear as a watch the whole trip. For a large computer display and if you're planning on running an analog SPG as backup, just run wired. It can save you a lot of money and hassle. What we really need is something like the Petrel EXT but with a HP transmitter instead of reading O2 readings, but that isn't going to happen.

You may also want to wait and see what the price of the SeaBear HUDC is going to be. That might be a good option for you as well. No need for the large display since it is near eye, it is designed to work on standard regulators or FFM's. Shouldn't be all that bad price wise.

Using an air integrated hosed computer for 15 years, I like the ease of looking at 1 device to see everything.

Don't want to get into a wireless vs SPG debate. I am a recreational diver who travels for 99% of my dives. I plan to carry a SPG with hose in my bag for emergencies, but not dive with it. If I get a total transmitter failure, I will lose 1 dive, change to the SPG and carry on for the rest of my trip.

I want a large display on my wrist because I am 50 and my eyes not as strong as they used to be.

Money is factor, but not a huge issue. The Oceanic VT 4 at $700 is pretty reasonable to me. The newer LED computers are much more expensive and is why I am interested to hear people's experiences with them.

I can vouch for my Galileo that I've used a few years now. It's very reliable and gives useful RBT info. I'd also check out the Oceanic VT 4.1. And I'd stay away from Suunto and Liquivision AI because of their lazy implementation of Air Time which does not take into account time to ascend.

Made a quick visit to my local dive shop. Didn't have time to try on or play with anything, but the Galileo Luna is huge. Much bigger than I was expecting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom