Recreational DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good concept, Rab. I'd had thoughts along the same line, myself.
I think it's more about subscribing to a concept and putting certain methods and practices into place relative to the type of diving one is doing.
For instance, I like the long hose concept, but I personally feel that a 7' hose, based on my body size, is excessive for recreational diving. However, I do feel that the 5' hose is ideal for recreational diving.
I also agree with the bungied alternate air source and donation of the primary second stage regulator.
I prefer the BP/W setup to my back inflation B/C and don't even consider the jacket style, but I'm not getting into that snake pit!!!

There are those who will always be content to be satisfied with the easiest approach, there will always be those who take the sport to the maximum limits, and there are those who will fall somewhere in the middle.

If those who want to move beyond the elementary level take some of the lessons the extremists (not to be taken in a derogatory sense) and incorporate them into their diving practices, I dare say they would bring about a better and more competent level of recreational diver.

rab:
Is there a form of DIR-F for the non-DIR diver? What I mean is: using one's own existing equipment...
DIR without the dress code. I recall NWGratefulBob once telling me of such a course he was developing. I wonder whatever became of that?

The skills part of DIR, such as trim, buoyancy and non-silting kicks can, of course, be learned by anyone in most any configuration. Some of it is dependent on equipment, though. For instance, air sharing the DIR way with each diver controlling thier own buoyancy is difficult with a 36" hose. Light signals are not very readable with a non-focusable light. Reverse kicks are nearly impossible with split fins and the frog kick is much less efficient. Streamlining is impossible with a jacket BC with large pockets.

Snowbear:
DIR without the dress code. I recall NWGratefulBob once telling me of such a course he was developing. I wonder whatever became of that?

There was a collaborative effort on the part of myself and some other local dive professionals to develop such a course ... to be offered as a workshop. The collaboration kind've tailed off ... and I incorporated some of the stuff I had developed into my AOW class. Other parts of it will appear in some of the specialty classes I teach.

I would eventually like to complete the project ... perhaps as a series of mini-workshops.

I should emphasize that what we had in mind wasn't really like DIR, in that it focused more on individual aspects of diving than on a systemized approach ... it was more an attempt to offer education in some of the skills that have been dropped from, or watered down in, the typical class structure due to the preponderance of instructors who teach to the minimum standards. The objective was to give the student a way to learn and practice a systemized approach to dive planning, gas management, buddy skills, buoyancy control, finning techniques, equipment selection and gear maintenance.

I do believe there's a market for such a workshop ... I just haven't had the time to invest in completing the material.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can se what you mean about the "DIR w/o a dress code" and personally I think you would be missing out BUT would a cavern class do the trick??

large_diver:
If the price for a long hose is $100, I think you need to do a little shopping.

Shouldn't be more than about $30....
The reference was to a long hose for a Poseidon reg, which uses proprietary fittings. $100 is the price I've seen quoted for such a hose, but I don't personally know if that is correct.

The issue with the hose fittings is one of the reasons Poseidon regs are not DIR-approved, but there are other reasons.

NW,
Anything I can do to help ? ? ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom