Recreational Ascent Rate in the last 15 feet

What is your RECREATIONAL ascent rate from SS to the surface? How often do you do a FIVE min stop?

• >100 fpm (I just go up)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 60 fpm (15 sec)

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 30 fpm (30 sec)

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • 15 fpm (60 sec)

Votes: 76 32.9%
  • 10 fpm (90 sec)

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Less than 10 fpm (longer than 90 sec)

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Never do a 5 min SS

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Sometimes do a 5 min SS

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • Often do a 5 min SS, even for shallower repetitive dives.

Votes: 52 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries, more information is good. Sorry to assume you were a warm water diver.

Usually the leak is in the inflator itself, a leak in the hose would have reg hose bubbling when not attached. If it changed rather than ended, most likely the inflater mechanism on your BC needs to be cleaned and/or the Schrader valve replaced.

Bob

It was in the mechanism - the hoses themselves were technically all fine, the button was just sticking ever so slightly. We took it in and fixed it up after that dive and didn't have any further issues.

I think you'd be better off doing a longer SS at 18 than continuing to load at 40'.

I wouldn't stop at 40' myself, but I wouldn't worry about any extra gas loading if I did.
- 40' is not that deep -- remember: on/off-gassing is driven by pressure difference that would be fairly small here, and
- 3 minutes would only really load the fastest tissue compartment, and that one will off-gas right back in 3 minutes of the regular safety stop.
So it really shouldn't add any appreciable loading.

Personally if I were making a "profile-dependent intermediate stop" (not to say the d-word), I'd use half-pressure rather half-depth. Except that from 80' it'd be at ~20' and you might as well just not bother and proceed directly to your 15' SS.

Back
Top Bottom