recovering from DCS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Pyle is alive and well and is active on the rebreather mailing list.

As to brain cells, he is a fish nerd so who can tell? :eyebrow:
Reading his posts he is pretty darn sharp, so I would say that his brain cell is still working.

mbreen49
Best of luck to you, hope your recovery is going well.
pipedope,
The Richard Pyle story, while scary, teaches many things, such as redundancy, gear condition, overexertion, diving so soon after getting bent, looking at SAC rates and gas supply for dive planning, etc.

mbreen49:
Hello All, First of all I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. It has now been 11 weeks since the injury occured and after much therapy, acupuncture and chiropractics I've had little change. I think it's going to be a matter of time.
Pipe & CAdiver...Thanks for the link to Richard Pyle's story. It gives me some hope but I'm curious if he is still alive today and has any brain cells left. Pretty scary stuff!
Eelpout...I'm happy to hear you're still diving. When (not if) I return to diving I'm thinking of using a 38-40% EAN and limiting my depth to 60 fsw. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
RMEdiver...When the accident occured I got on O2 almost immediately and regained the use of my arms and legs within 20 minutes. I hit the chamber 1.5 hrs. after the accident occured. Pretty quick!
Again, Thanks everyone. Mike mbreen49@aol.com

Your right Mike that is quick especially if you were right onto O2.

When did you first notice the symptoms? (how long after the dive)

If it was fairly immediate upon reaching the surface it might have been an overexpansion injury not DCS...

I hope your feeling better and able to get back in the water soon...

Jeff

I had a type II hit in 2001 with tingling sensation in the bottom of my feet. Now that is mostly gone, I think I just got use to it. Occasionally I will notice it. Still diving with no further DCS hits todate (knock on my wooden head). Each person is different and your dive physician will evaluate if and when you can get back into the water. Tough break. Would love to hear the story behind the bend.

MBreen:

Did you ever read ther article called "Confessions of a mortal diver" ? Its about a 19 year old fellow that pushed his limits and took two hard DCS hits. It should be mandatory reading for us all. He broke many rules and suffered for two years. He did recover and you will too. Take good care and all the best to you.

Bubblemaker_ontario..... (if you want the article... PM me) I have read it many times.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
MBreen:

Did you ever read ther article called "Confessions of a mortal diver" ? Its about a 19 year old fellow that pushed his limits and took two hard DCS hits. It should be mandatory reading for us all. He broke many rules and suffered for two years. He did recover and you will too. Take good care and all the best to you.

Bubblemaker_ontario..... (if you want the article... PM me) I have read it many times.

Is that the same article that was posted on page 1? If so, it was awesome to read. If it is different, I'd like to read it if you have the link.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom