recovering from DCS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbreen49

New
Reaction score
Hello All. I'm currently recovering from a hit of DCS2. I'm having
residual symptoms in the form of numbness in my right leg. I rode the
chamber 4 times. Twice at table6 and twice at table5. My question
is ...Have any of you had similar residual symptoms and been able to
return to diving? I'd appreciate any input or words of encouragement.
Thank you all in advance. Sincerely, Mike

I personally do not have much in the way of experience, in terms of contact with people who have taken a hit from DCS. However, as a matter of chance i am delling my car at the moment, and the "lucky" guy who has decided to buy it is a sat diver with loads of experience. He says he has taken a total of five "hits", one of which was a nurelogical bend, and he is still commercial diving. I will not pretend to be a diving physician, but i figure this has got to give hope to anyone who has had a bend and is looking to get back into the water.

Scary and inspiring.

I can't find it right now but it is out there.

Hi Mike,

I have been a diving professional for the last 24 years. I have had 3 DCS-2 hits in the last 10 years. Why do I keep diving?It is my profession. DAN is a great organization but they don't have much information or help for people who have had DCS experiences after their treatment.

You may be experiencing "Phantom symptoms". This is how "phanton symptoms" were explained to me. When you get a DCS2 hit the bubbles block the nerve signal path from your brain to the specific part of your body where your symptoms occur. After treatment your body tried to reestablish that signal path and it causes the phantom symptoms.

I experienced this up to 6 weeks after each of my treatments. What is scary about this experience is the response of non educated "diving medical professionals". If they are not educated enough, they may throw you into a chamber again. I have been told that it dones not hurt your body but it sure hurts the pocketbook if you don't have insurance.

My wife and I have had a total of 6 DCS2 experiences. We are both dive professionals. She had a PFO repaired and she is now DCS free. I don't have a PFO and have to watch my dive profiles very carefully.

I hope this helps.
eelpout

I have a friend on active diving status in the army with residual symptoms from an AGE with a delay in treatment (2" x 2" area of decreased sensation on upper back)

Not to many guys out there with residual symptoms from DCS II because any operation doing deco must have a chamber on the dive station.

What kind of delay prior to your first TT-6?

Hope your feeling better.

mbreen49:
Hello All. I'm currently recovering from a hit of DCS2. I'm having
residual symptoms in the form of numbness in my right leg. I rode the
chamber 4 times. Twice at table6 and twice at table5. My question
is ...Have any of you had similar residual symptoms and been able to
return to diving? I'd appreciate any input or words of encouragement.
Thank you all in advance. Sincerely, Mike
Scary.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
No personal experience with DCS

Hello All, First of all I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. It has now been 11 weeks since the injury occured and after much therapy, acupuncture and chiropractics I've had little change. I think it's going to be a matter of time.
Pipe & CAdiver...Thanks for the link to Richard Pyle's story. It gives me some hope but I'm curious if he is still alive today and has any brain cells left. Pretty scary stuff!
Eelpout...I'm happy to hear you're still diving. When (not if) I return to diving I'm thinking of using a 38-40% EAN and limiting my depth to 60 fsw. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
RMEdiver...When the accident occured I got on O2 almost immediately and regained the use of my arms and legs within 20 minutes. I hit the chamber 1.5 hrs. after the accident occured. Pretty quick!
Again, Thanks everyone. Mike mbreen49@aol.com

Back
Top Bottom