Recording audio with a full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woah that could work. I could disassemble that device, dip the logic board in resin and solder a waterproof mic to it.

I actually saw a "lecture" given using a Buddy Phone and a Guardian FFM about a month ago at an aquarium that actually sounded pretty good. Although I can't say much for the diver since she was bouncing and stepping all over the artificial reefs (and I do mean artificial) in the exhibit. Not that it hurt the structures at all, but it really sets a horrible example for divers should act underwater. But I digress.

OOC was she using wired communications or wireless? Unfortunately, ours are wireless.

I can see live audio being helpful to fully remember the moment. Not just what you were seeing but what you were thinking. And the ability to make oral editing notes for later voice-over.

Much cheaper than adding comms might be sticking a mini voice recorder inside, albeit the risk of flooding.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773KHYPH/
I like this idea and you could always use an old trick we used to do before they started making waterproof electronics for radio control cars and slip it in a balloon and tie it up. The only question becomes how to position it inside the FFM oranasal pocket. Guess you could use some double-sided tape or velcro. Might be worth checking into.

OOC was she using wired communications or wireless? Unfortunately, ours are wireless.
Good question. I saw the Buddy Phone TX/RX on her right side so I assume it was wireless. But she was also on supplied air so I suppose it could've been wired, too. I've toyed with volunteering there but it's 6 hours away and would be every few weeks. Still, though, it might not be a bad idea. Would be an experience for sure.

If you watch a professional documentary (say BBC Blue Planet etc) you'll always hear the inhale.

The standard mic wouldn't' be that great, you'd want a half decent voice mic in the mask

I presume video is bu Go-Pro thus audio would need to be recorded on a seperate waterproof device.

Because when editing you'll have video and Audio on different devices you'll need some method to sync (that's what the clapperboard is used for - so you can sync the correct video frame to audio. You could use a camera flash and count down - the important thing is to have a clear audio spike to match up with the video

You'd need to do some post on the Audio to clean it up as well

The of course you'd find yourself wanting to probably do some voice over after the even, so a desk mic and mixer etc - Similar to the basic YouTuber set up.

If you watch a professional documentary (say BBC Blue Planet etc) you'll always hear the inhale.

The standard mic wouldn't' be that great, you'd want a half decent voice mic in the mask

I presume video is bu Go-Pro thus audio would need to be recorded on a seperate waterproof device.

Because when editing you'll have video and Audio on different devices you'll need some method to sync (that's what the clapperboard is used for - so you can sync the correct video frame to audio. You could use a camera flash and count down - the important thing is to have a clear audio spike to match up with the video

You'd need to do some post on the Audio to clean it up as well

Then of course you'd find yourself wanting to probably do some voice over after that even, so a desk mic and mixer etc - Similar to the basic YouTuber set up.
I do some amateur music production myself so I've already got audio software I can use for any voice over and audio cleanup. And I've got Sony Vegas for video, although I haven't used it much, but I'm sure it works just fine. Wouldn't be terribly difficult to sync up audio from two devices and then overlay the audio from the voice recorder over the top of the GoPro video. Just time consuming and maybe a bit tedious. But certainly doable. Could even pan the GoPro audio to one side and have the voice recorder panned to the opposite side for a cool effect. Some really good possibilities here. Just a matter of getting creative and taking the time to do it.

Older thread. but I'm in the middle of this. Plan A is to use a fairly high end audio recorder that I already have with a lav mic. I'll 3D print a new com port cover so the lav mic can pass through it then seal the mic in a cut off finger of a latex glove. The audio recorder goes in a waterproof box and tucked in a pocket. The mic cable will be sealed at the box and the mask. This should work.

Plan B is to use something like this....

And mount it inside the mask sealed in a glove finger. Either way, audio would synced up in post production. Just make a noise that matches a movement on video so you can get the sync close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom