Recommended site/Brand for Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If this diver is going to be diving in cold waters, I wouldn't waste time nor money on diving wet. If I could rewind my own diving choices, the ONLY real bad purchase I made was a wetsuit. I should have gone dry from the beginning.

Actually I like the cold water, it's one of my favorite parts of SCUBA.

Cold water is fine.... BEING cold SUX!

Amen. I think you can be warm diving wet in most of the southern California area. Not so much in Monterey. Fit has as much to do with warmth as material. A bad fitting wetsuit is worthless.

Hear Hear! .. I just had to get a drysuit when I got cold in 7mm on my last dives to the Coronado's .. I can expect to get cold when the temps are low 50's, but NOT when it was 60f :11: (Mine fits like a skin ... Older wetsuits lose their protection and don't work as they did when new, 4 years old) .. still, wetsuit was fine for the first couple of years and that used drysuit was still a big chunk of change

I guess I must be wierd then, because I like the crisp water, even though it's chilly. Recently I went to a 56degree(may not be cold for some people xD) without gloves or a hood and my buddy said I was wierd but, I like the cold for some reason. I should live in colorado I guess.
Btw, I was wondering about the difference between Jacket and Backplate(if thats what their called) BC's. I always seem to look somewhere and just do a 360 spin real quick xD. Would Backplate help me stay in a more steady face down position? Or is it meant for something else. <--- uneducated in gear much xD

I dive cold water (50's) and wet. I only get cold on the 3rd or 4th dive of the day (meaing for me at least, being on a boat). Beach diving 1 or 2 dives, wet is not a big deal and a lot cheaper, and no messing with a p valve.

I don't know how far along you are with your diving. But let me share this. My first 100 or 110 dives were done wet, in a 5mm Farmer top. I had a hood. I felt fine. I'm a big guy and didn't get cold easily. I've done some dives down into the mid 50s with that wetsuit on.

When I got my drysuit, I did some dives in the same waters. It was night and day. You don't realize how much less mentally alert you are when you're even slightly cold. Your body becomes pre-occupied with being cold even on a subconscious level. Your circulation changes because the body is trying to first warm your extremeties, then protect the core as you get colder.

My first dive in my thinsulate undergarment, I came up literally sweating. I haven't worn a hood yet when diving dry because I can feel myself sweating. Most people certainly start out wet. Many of us who spend lots of time in the water eventually go dry. Lots of my dives are now pushing to 90 minutes or more, sometimes with deco. I would not want to do them wet.

The Backplate and Wing type of BC does help with trim in the water, but it's not magic. You just need to spend some more time in the water honing your skills. Take your time. It will come.

-P

I guess I must be wierd then, because I like the crisp water, even though it's chilly. Recently I went to a 56degree(may not be cold for some people xD) without gloves or a hood and my buddy said I was wierd but, I like the cold for some reason. I should live in colorado I guess.
Btw, I was wondering about the difference between Jacket and Backplate(if thats what their called) BC's. I always seem to look somewhere and just do a 360 spin real quick xD. Would Backplate help me stay in a more steady face down position? Or is it meant for something else. <--- uneducated in gear much xD

I think you are wondering bout the difference between Back inflate and jacket BC's. In the water back inflate will help you keep the face down position, but a jacket will too if you are trimmed properly. I prefer back inflate because it doesn't squeeze you like a jacket does. BTW, backplates are in the back inflate category. To me it sounds like you are having a problem with your trim. If you are using a weight belt try to get the weights as in front of you as possible. Also make sure that you are not overweighted because the extra air in your bladder will shift around and could cause what you are describing.

I actually have been using weights just in my BC because my teacher reccomended it, not necessarily because of that but because we were moving a lot and we didnt want extra gear. But yea the Back inflate sounds good thanks for your help T_T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom