Recommended site/Brand for Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeliciousBrownTaste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm advanced SCUBA certified, but I am low on expierience. You see, the way I did my classes, after I finished the Open Water class, I went straight the next weekend for advanced because they let me keep my gear. The only problem is I never learned much about gear, like what brand is best for certain types of dives, or something like that; and since all my gear was rented, I only have my Booties, Gloves, Mask, Snorkel, Hood. Any tips :confused:

Buy a wetsuit. You have a dozen dive shops within a short drive of you to try several on and get a good fit (and if you are going to do most of your diving here in so cal, it will probably be a 7 mil). Then keep renting (try a few different set ups if you can) and dive more. When you know what tpe of diving you like, then buy gear. Again you have lots of LDS options and all the online sources.

If you have questions about specific gear, do a search here. I can't think of anything you could ask that hasn't been covered.

. When you know what tpe of diving you like, then buy gear.
Maybe I didn't specify this, I've already decided I like beach dives/cold water dives :)

Oops messed up on that quote >_<

That's some good advice merxlin gave you there.

I'll say the same thing I tell students when they ask me what they should get. Try it out and if you like it there's a pretty good chance its the right gear for you.

Stick with brands that have a good rep.

Gear (ie bp/w, regs) wise stay with halcyon, dive rite, OMS, scubapro, oxycheq, salvo.

Exposure wise I would stick with DUI & whites & amron/viking for dry suits, Hendersonand scubapro for wetsuits.

You get what you pay for in this industry.

Stick with brands that have a good rep.

Gear (ie bp/w, regs) wise stay with halcyon, dive rite, OMS, scubapro, oxycheq, salvo.

Exposure wise I would stick with DUI & whites & amron/viking for dry suits, Hendersonand scubapro for wetsuits.

You get what you pay for in this industry.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I've paid a lot of money for some gear that I ended up throwing up on Ebay and I've spent very little money on gear I've used for years. I'll agree with you that you've listed some decent (and expensive) companies there, but you've left out a whole lot of really good ones also. You also neglect to point to the guys out in California who make some really good custom wetsuits for a really good price. Of course I can't think of the name of those guys right now, but as soon as it comes to me I'll post a link.

If this diver is going to be diving in cold waters, I wouldn't waste time nor money on diving wet. If I could rewind my own diving choices, the ONLY real bad purchase I made was a wetsuit. I should have gone dry from the beginning.

For dry suits, also take a look at "Water Proof". They are a Swedish Company who specialize in arctic expeditions and expedition gear. Elbows and knees are articulated and designed in bent positions. They are expensive... but worth it. Tremendous experience there.. great products, and custom mades are available though rarely needed because they offer so many sizes.

Try to avoid entry level/just good enough for now gear .. you don't have to get the highest cost stuff, just get good quality, solid, middle of the road gear .. cause you don't want to find yourself a year from now wishing you had a better performing regulator ... was the only gear buying advice I got from my instructor and glad I listened and got my SP G250
BCD? .. better to try some before getting one, While I love my Knighthawk, if I had to do it again, I would go for a Back Plate & Wing ... more flexable system, will grow with you, no matter where your diving interests take you
.. Drysuit? thats quite a big jump from a wetsuit and associated gear, well, as long as your not talking about a $300+ wetsuit (My Akona + boots, hood, gloves $240)
.. and yeah, I did just get a drysuit off of ebay, but only after using my wetsuit for 3 years

Store? ... Larry at ScubaToys, Tobin at SeepSea Supply, Mike at Dive Right In Scuba, Phil Ellis at Dive Sports.com, are all very active here on SB with helpful advice and good deals for members

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom