Recommended Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from AC and don't think you can go wrong with many of the choices. The beach locations tend to be more expensive than those restaurants on Pescador/Middle Street. My favorite place was Elvi's. Following close were Licks (excellent breakfast and caye lime pie), Estelle's (only open breakfast & lunch and cash only), Blue Water, and Wild Mango. Again, hard to go wrong and choice is going to be more about how much time you have between/before dives and how much you want to spend.

Many of the restaurants are closed at least one day a week, so if you want to try something specific, be sure to check. The usual day to be closed was Sunday, though some are closed Monday or Tuesday. An increasing number take credit cards, but there are still many of the smaller more local places that are cash only.

Reactions: mbs
My wife, son, and I are an adventurous bunch so we don't really need recommendations of what to go to (we'll find the good stuff!) but recommendations on what to AVOID are always welcome. We will be in Placencia for the first time for two weeks over the Christmas/New Years holidays. If anyone has a place that they think was just awful I'd like to hear about it. PMs welcome as I know some folks aren't comfortable throwing that out in the open.

That said I know the terrible places are few and far between since they don't tend to stay in business, but I still like to ask. We love eating off the waterfront, away from the tourist traps, when in Cozumel (El Pique! w00t!) and our style is not 'tourista' at all. So those are the kind of places we like to avoid. From what I've read about Placencia I don't think there's a lot of that going on there anyway. :) We are really looking forward to our winter vacation learning about and visiting with the people of Belize.

But hey, we gotta eat. Any and all info (good, bad) welcome. :)

Hmmm, interesting approach... However the intent of this thread was positive reviews. You might want to start a new one.

Placencia doesn't have nearly as much going on as AC, but there are lots of places with good eats.

My favorite is The Shak, right at the tip of the peninsula. Great sandwiches and smoothies.

RumFish, right in the center of the village is good for dinner. Tutti Frutti has the best gelato in Central America. Wendy's is good standard fare. De-Tach has really good sea food. The Secret Garden looks good, but I've never had the chance to eat there.

Above Grounds has great coffee, hard to find in Belize.

The Barefoot Bar is very popular for drinks and sandwiches or burgers.

For a more upscale experience, head up to Maya Beach--you'll need a car or a cab--and eat at Maya Beach Bistro.

On the negative side, I didn't care for either Chinese food restaurant, can't remember their names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom