Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're planning on living and working as a divemaster in a certain location, get your training there. Especially in areas with multiple sites on islands, channels, currents etc. get to know the area, as well as dive shops that you might work for.

Be informed that a foreigner cannot function as a dive guide in Indonesia. And there are no working permits for divemasters.

Where to go to get DM training depends on what you want to do with the training after you get the certification. Four popular options: (1) necessary step on the way to becoming an instructor; (2) necessary step on the way to becoming a dive guide; (3) just want to help instructors with classes; and (4) personal enrichment. I can't tell from the OP's post which of these (if any) is/are applicable, although (4) sounds more likely than the others. If the reason indeed is (4), then just go wherever you'd like to spend some time. If the reason is (3), then you want to go to a place with lost of instruction going on, at all different levels. If (2), then go to a place where you'd like to be a dive guide (fif the country allows it). If (1), then go to the place where you'd like to be an instructor. Note that many "dive guides" are also instructors, and they will preferentially get the jobs, because they can do more hence are more valuable.

P.S. You might also look at Best Places in the World for Dive Master & Instructor Training?

The OP has not logged in here since the original post on Sep. 12. The OP may be reading the replies, but it doesn’t look like the OP is interested in engaging in a conversation.

Personally I'd recommend looking at Labuan Bajo, which is the gateway to Komodo National Park, lots of day boat diving as well as some liveaboards

I know Blue Marlin which seems to take the DM training seriously, and the DM trainees I met were pretty good.

As instructor, who teaches DM courses my advice is the following.

Get your basic skills up to scratch before hand, by that I mean shallow water buoyancy and trim. You'll be spending lots of time in the pool, and this stuff needed to be automatic and instinctive - if you're buoyancy if poor your skills tests will be difficult. When assisting students you need to be focused on them not sculling about to stay in position

Refresh before hand all the basic skills - there's plenty of videos. The course can then polish them to demo standard

Make sure in advance you can complete the swim tests inside the times. The details of DM training is contained within the crewpack training manual

In advance get your dive theory up to scratch before hand, again lots of online resources.

The more prepared you are, then the more you will learn and more time can be spent on teaching you new skills rather than lots of remedial teaching to get you up to scratch.

Everyone will have strengths and weaknesses, as it's a mentoring course students are expected and encouraged to help each other with skills and theory practice

In Komodo you'll get great experience in a fab location and some great social life between the dive centres.

With DM training, the more you put in the more you get out, it should challenge the student the ensure they get value, equally the Students need to be honest with their experience and ability so we know before hand, after all the truth will become apparent.

It can be a great course, obviously research your dive centre to make sure it fits with all your needs
I am 100% agree with the recommendation, but the dive shop mentioned is clearly not my favorite. I suggest taking a look at the most open and recommended diving center Dragon Dive Komodo. Those guys know how to train people and loved their job. Also, it's the only one with all facilities in the area, with boats that are not SPEED boats, with proper pool, supra nice facilities with instructors who are mentoring and Course directors who are always there for you.

I have nothing against Blue Marlin, but it is not what they were for a long time and mentioning them like they are the only DC in Indonesia is not really appropriate anymore.

Concerning the training in East, Indonesia Komodo is for me a great and must be taken seriously for your courses as you will gain a lot of experiences with tricky dive sites from mapping to drift dives. It's for me one of the best places with Raja Ampat Kri to learn how to properly guide in Indonesia.

Dive shops there, ( if some will survive) are very well equipped for doing courses.
My advice is for now within the pandemic to check, skype, and have a proper look at the facility before engaging a deposit or a full payment. Too many stories is going on.

Wish you the best in your training.

Personally I'd recommend looking at Labuan Bajo, which is the gateway to Komodo National Park, lots of day boat diving as well as some liveaboards

I know Blue Marlin which seems to take the DM training seriously, and the DM trainees I met were pretty good.

As instructor, who teaches DM courses my advice is the following.

Get your basic skills up to scratch before hand, by that I mean shallow water buoyancy and trim. You'll be spending lots of time in the pool, and this stuff needed to be automatic and instinctive - if you're buoyancy if poor your skills tests will be difficult. When assisting students you need to be focused on them not sculling about to stay in position

Refresh before hand all the basic skills - there's plenty of videos. The course can then polish them to demo standard

Make sure in advance you can complete the swim tests inside the times. The details of DM training is contained within the crewpack training manual

In advance get your dive theory up to scratch before hand, again lots of online resources.

The more prepared you are, then the more you will learn and more time can be spent on teaching you new skills rather than lots of remedial teaching to get you up to scratch.

Everyone will have strengths and weaknesses, as it's a mentoring course students are expected and encouraged to help each other with skills and theory practice

In Komodo you'll get great experience in a fab location and some great social life between the dive centres.

With DM training, the more you put in the more you get out, it should challenge the student the ensure they get value, equally the Students need to be honest with their experience and ability so we know before hand, after all the truth will become apparent.

It can be a great course, obviously research your dive centre to make sure it fits with all your needs
Thanks for the great tips regarding dive master training in general! We will definitely work on our dive theory and basic skills before heading out, to make sure we will get the most out of our time there.

Well, in that respect it isn't all that much unlike Utila (Honduras), which the OP liked. I was only in LBJ for one day/night, waiting for transfer to a liveaboard, but I spent almost a month on Utila. I thought Utila had more charm than LBJ.
Thanks for the input! Its great to hear from someone as well who has been to both places! That definitely changed our view of LBJ.

I am 100% agree with the recommendation, but the dive shop mentioned is clearly not my favorite. I suggest taking a look at the most open and recommended diving center Dragon Dive Komodo. Those guys know how to train people and loved their job. Also, it's the only one with all facilities in the area, with boats that are not SPEED boats, with proper pool, supra nice facilities with instructors who are mentoring and Course directors who are always there for you.

I have nothing against Blue Marlin, but it is not what they were for a long time and mentioning them like they are the only DC in Indonesia is not really appropriate anymore.

Concerning the training in East, Indonesia Komodo is for me a great and must be taken seriously for your courses as you will gain a lot of experiences with tricky dive sites from mapping to drift dives. It's for me one of the best places with Raja Ampat Kri to learn how to properly guide in Indonesia.

Dive shops there, ( if some will survive) are very well equipped for doing courses.
My advice is for now within the pandemic to check, skype, and have a proper look at the facility before engaging a deposit or a full payment. Too many stories is going on.

Wish you the best in your training.
Thanks for the response! Its nice to get input on different dive centers as well, its really hard to differentiate between them just by looking at it online.

Where to go to get DM training depends on what you want to do with the training after you get the certification. Four popular options: (1) necessary step on the way to becoming an instructor; (2) necessary step on the way to becoming a dive guide; (3) just want to help instructors with classes; and (4) personal enrichment. I can't tell from the OP's post which of these (if any) is/are applicable, although (4) sounds more likely than the others. If the reason indeed is (4), then just go wherever you'd like to spend some time. If the reason is (3), then you want to go to a place with lost of instruction going on, at all different levels. If (2), then go to a place where you'd like to be a dive guide (fif the country allows it). If (1), then go to the place where you'd like to be an instructor. Note that many "dive guides" are also instructors, and they will preferentially get the jobs, because they can do more hence are more valuable.

P.S. You might also look at Best Places in the World for Dive Master & Instructor Training?
Its reason 4. Definitely should have thought about writing that! Its only for ourselves, at this point we don't plan on becoming instructors or dive guides :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom