Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winona

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey,
we are a couple, who would really like to get our dive masters sometime next year (between august 2022 and january 2023).
We've looked at Komodo, Gili Air and Raja Ampat, but we're not quite sure how the possibilities are at the different locations. It seems to be quite difficult to get a divemaster in Raja Ampat, even though it's supposed to be the best spot for diving.
Do any of you guys maybe have some experiences/recommendations regarding becoming a divemaster in Asia?
Preferably, we would like to stay somewhere that is not totally isolated. We've had great experiences with Utila, and would love to find something similar to that :)
Hope you can help us!
Cheers

Personally I'd recommend looking at Labuan Bajo, which is the gateway to Komodo National Park, lots of day boat diving as well as some liveaboards

I know Blue Marlin which seems to take the DM training seriously, and the DM trainees I met were pretty good.

As instructor, who teaches DM courses my advice is the following.

Get your basic skills up to scratch before hand, by that I mean shallow water buoyancy and trim. You'll be spending lots of time in the pool, and this stuff needed to be automatic and instinctive - if you're buoyancy if poor your skills tests will be difficult. When assisting students you need to be focused on them not sculling about to stay in position

Refresh before hand all the basic skills - there's plenty of videos. The course can then polish them to demo standard

Make sure in advance you can complete the swim tests inside the times. The details of DM training is contained within the crewpack training manual

In advance get your dive theory up to scratch before hand, again lots of online resources.

The more prepared you are, then the more you will learn and more time can be spent on teaching you new skills rather than lots of remedial teaching to get you up to scratch.

Everyone will have strengths and weaknesses, as it's a mentoring course students are expected and encouraged to help each other with skills and theory practice

In Komodo you'll get great experience in a fab location and some great social life between the dive centres.

With DM training, the more you put in the more you get out, it should challenge the student the ensure they get value, equally the Students need to be honest with their experience and ability so we know before hand, after all the truth will become apparent.

It can be a great course, obviously research your dive centre to make sure it fits with all your needs

Sure Raja Ampat will have great diving, but a excellent DM program?
Komodo great diving, but be prepared for long days out on the boat.Its about 1.5 hours to the Northern divesites. LBJ is a boom town with lots of DM programs to pick from. You might look into Scuba Junkies DM program its excellent and its very professional if your looking to go that route. SJ is isolated but has a great vibe. I've been there 2x and though not done their DM program have witnessed top notch training. If your looking to go pro its an excellent program and they have quite a few people who they have trained and now work for them in their various locations. As I said its about 1.5 hours by boat from LBJ, which is a bustling tourist city ( at least it was pre-covid), LBJ has lots of places to eat and drink but its dusty, hot, and loud and not "beachy" its a city.
Gili Air has good diving but certainly not on par with RA or Komodo, the upside a charming island with plenty to keep you occupied and beutiful beaches.

^
Labuan Bajo is a dusty little TOWN(one single main road) with nothing to offer other than waiting for the transfer to the National Park.

Stay with SJ.
SJ is very isolated but well compensate with the diving.
Leave the party on Gilli later.

If I have the time after the training, this is what I prefer than partying:

Stay Raja Ampat: The best Raja Ampat accommodation & travel information source
Assuming they are still around.

^
Labuan Bajo is a dusty little TOWN(one single main road) with nothing to offer other than waiting for the transfer to the National Park.
. . .

Well, in that respect it isn't all that much unlike Utila (Honduras), which the OP liked. I was only in LBJ for one day/night, waiting for transfer to a liveaboard, but I spent almost a month on Utila. I thought Utila had more charm than LBJ.

I thought Utila had more charm than LBJ.

LBJ is what it is. I've spent time there, it's okay - been to worse places. More importantly you'll get really good DM experience there and there's a great vibe and community between the Pro's at all the dive centres. The OP was also looking for Asia...

LBJ is what it is. I've spent time there, it's okay - been to worse places. More importantly you'll get really good DM experience there and there's a great vibe and community between the Pro's at all the dive centres. The OP was also looking for Asia...

Understood. I was just reflecting on this comment in the original post: "We've had great experiences with Utila, and would love to find something similar to that"

Never been to Utila but my experiences in SE Asia that even the neighbouring beach on the same island can be quite difference eg. Koh Tao/Lanta and Phuket let alone the neighbouring island(The three Gili islands). Different vibes.
If I want something similar I would go back to the original one.

A Divemaster Course can take anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks depending on the schedule. Maybe in addition to finding a nice spot (important as you will spend a good amount of time) you also want to make sure you sign up with a reputable dive center where they will teach you properly. Preferably a dive center which has a mix of fun divers and students as you will learn both guiding as well as assisting with courses. If you pick a spot where they have very few to no dive courses you won't get to learn much about assisting an instructor. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom