Recommended light for cylinder VIPs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stretchthepenn made his, very inexpensively. He should chime in when he gets a chance...

The VIP lights I made work pretty darn well, and they weren't very expensive.

I ordered a handful of materials from SuperBrightLEDs.com -- two meters of adhesive-backed strip-LED lights (one meter in 5000K white, one in UV), two clips that attach to the strips' contacts, two DC connections, and an AC plug with a transformer/DC output -- and some clear heatshrink tubes from Grainger. (These tubes were by far the most pricey part, as they're only available in bulk.)

I then used my table saw to cut two strips of PVC about two feet long and just narrow enough to fit through a tank neck. Next, I trimmed the light strips to just less than double the sticks' lengths, folded each light strip overtop of its stick, and adhered them in place. Finally, I hooked up the electrical bits and entombed each stick in heatshrink.

Were I to do it again, I'd get heavier-duty DC connections, and I'd make the PVC strips narrower so they'll fit through a 7/8 neck, but the lights I made work a beauty for standard 3/4" necks.

I made mine from a strip of LED lights I got from home depot and a coat hanger that I straightened. Used a few pieces of duct tape to keep the light flat on the hanger. Works better than the actual "tank inspection" light that the shop has. Total cost was less than $15.

The VIP lights I made work pretty darn well, and they weren't very expensive.
Here's a photo of the white light I made. I've got another one with UV lights.

2022-08-27 15.34.06.jpg

@tbone1004 @runsongas how about links to the exact item please?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom