Recommendations on a point and shoot package on a strict budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregT943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am somewhat new to underwater photography, but not new to photography itself. As of now I have a simple canon power shot and housing, but it doesn't take the best pictures. I simply don't have the cash to get housings and strobes for any of my DSLRs. My budget is around $1000. I like photographing large things more than the macro stuff. I know Sea Life has some packages (camera, housing, and strobe) for around $1000. Are these cameras any good? Is it easy to adjust the white balance? Do you guys have any reccomendations for other camera systems? My budget is pretty strict so if it's over $1000, I can't buy it. Thanks guys

I don't know much about the Sea Life packages and with that being the case, my advice would be to buy used based on your budget. Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here on this board. Below is an example of something currently for sale that could work for you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...e-canon-g10-ikelite-housing-pair-strobes.html

Best advice for getting decent photos without breaking the bank is making sure the camera has manual settings (aperature and shutter priority at a minimum) and a strobe. If you spend some time thumbing around this general UW Photography forum as well as the sub-forums for the various camera manufacturers you'll be able to get a good feel for what the market has gravitated toward.

Also consider scavenging a system together. Find a lightly used camera, housing, strobe, tray and arms from a variety of sources (scubaboard, wetpixel, ebay, craigslist, etc.)

$1000 is a bit tight. I can't comment on Sea Life cameras but one suggestion of others to consider would be a Canon S95 w/ a Canon housing and a Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe w/ a cheap optical cable and that would run you just under $1000. ($340+$180+430+$40=$990) But that still leaves you short a tray and arm set to hook it all together which adds another $150. Beyond that all I can suggest is to consider something lightly used from Ebay but I really don't believe it will save you that much.

Canon S95, Canon housing & Inon S2000 strobe. The strobe is tiny and works great. You can have the Canon with housing and the strobe online for $1K. I just found them in 1 minute. (Amazon, E-bay, etc.)
You'll pay more at reputable UW photo dealers, but you said you're on a strict budget.
You can make your own tray with $5 worth of aluminum strap from the hardware store, and you can get a flex arm to mount on it for $20-30. You will need an Inon strobe adapter though ( a little piece of plastic to mount the strobe to the flex arm.

Larry - good advice. I just didn't think it would be that affordable.

Greg - that puts together a system that is pretty highly regarded on these forums.

Greg, if you are not in a hurry, you can find some good deals on ebay for a Sea&Sea DX-1G or DX-2G. It would mean that you would have to get used equipment but I've done that in the past with no problems. Both the 1G and the 2G have both a point and shoot mode as well as a full manual mode. I have used both cameras and found that they take excellent pictures. If you click on my photos Link: hammerhead man Gallery - ScubaBoard Gallery you can see some pics taken with both cameras. The Great Barrier Reef photos are the only ones taken with the 2G. Eleuthera, Galapagos, and Fiji pics were taken with the 1G.

Regards,

Bill

How about this one?: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-photography/398331-fs-underwater-photography-video-system.html

I think that when I posted this I didn't upload full size sample images just to save bandwidth, and I may have given the impression that these were the largest images possible with this system. The images are up to 2272 x 1704 pixels, so unless you need to make prints that are larger than 8x10, this is a great system. I have lots of 8x10 prints from this rig that look great...

The big external strobe, the super fast lens and the solid metal case make this a terrific system. Will give you much better shots than a new cheap point and shoot with a low quality lens and a bunch of megapixels crammed into a small sensor.

$400 takes it, includes the pelican case, etc...

Well I was spoiled by the Olympus C5050Z, so I never considered the C7070Z, but this package does do what you want for less than your budget (probably)...

Ikelite TTL Housing & Olympus C-7070 Camera, DS 125 Strobe, Storm Case & Acc. | eBay

The better rig is a little harder to put together, and closer to your max...

Olympus CAMEDIA C 5050 Zoom & Underwater Case 132ft. | eBay

Underwater Wide Angle Lens for Olympus PT-015 PT-018 PT-020 PT-022 PT-027 | eBay

Canon G2 Underwater Camera System w/ Ikelite Housing & DS-125 Strobe | eBay

...and then sell the canon G2 w/ housing and WAL. Or perhaps the lens from that last link is 67 mm threads; can't find web reference. Then you would not need the middle link. Inon type 2 was the best 100 degree lens for the PT-015, but there were also Fantasy and Ikelite 67 mm 100's. I never used the Ikelite.

I still have my 5050 rig (w/ PT-015, Inon type 2 & Dome) and I'm currently using it due to Recsea "impact" damage at flash port. :(

Back
Top Bottom