Recommendations needed for a polartec suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a polartec suit to use like a wetsuit. I reason is I hate the weight of the wetsuit and I heard some good things bout polartec suits.

I need some information on a 300g or 15.5 ounce polartec suit.

First I would like to get the website for Oxtex which produces diveskins, Extreme diveskins from Aus, the XTR series.

Any recommendations please.

SangP

I have had for many years a Henderson Black Max Polartec suit (actually the chest is a very thin neoprene, the rest is Polartec). Pluses: very comfortable, no buoyancy. Minuses: not nearly as warm as neoprene (despite what they say), becomes heavy when wet and takes a long time to dry (and these negatives would increase with the thickness of the Polartec). If diving very warm water for which a Polartec suit would be adequate, I personally would opt for a 1mm or 2mm neoprene suit instead. I have seen a very thin neoprene suit by Mares--it folds to nothing and apres dive that would be lighter and much faster drying than a Polartec suit. Just my 2 bits. Mahjong

SangP:
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a polartec suit to use like a wetsuit. I reason is I hate the weight of the wetsuit and I heard some good things bout polartec suits.

I need some information on a 300g or 15.5 ounce polartec suit.

First I would like to get the website for Oxtex which produces diveskins, Extreme diveskins from Aus, the XTR series.

Any recommendations please.

SangP

I have a polartec fleece diveskin with the Lycra outer shell and knee and elbow pads built in. It's a great and comfortable dive skin and ZERO bouyancy but as far as thermal protection its nil. Being that it allows water to pass it doesn't warm very well but protects like a champ. Pulling a wetsuit over the lycra is nice. Thats the biggest benefit.

As stated in a previous post. They take forever to dry. When in a humid climate, it never really dries until I come home or turn the AC on full blast in the room.

Scooter

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate you views.

I did think the suit would take a while to dry considering all the fluff it has and since humidity 95 is what singapore is all about I'm quite sure it'll smell really special after a while LOL!

With your advice, I just went and gotten myself a 0.5mm scubapro suit with a 3mm hooded vest. I think that might be a better solution.

Cheers guys and thanks again.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom