Recommendations in Akumal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valtx

New
Reaction score
Hi, all! I am a new member - this looks like an awesome forum. One of my scuba instructors told me to check this place out. Glad he did!

Here's my question. My husband and I are headed to Mexico in six days, and are staying in South Akumal. We are both new divers, and have just received our Open Water certification. We'd like to find a good dive operation in the Akumal area. Does anyone have a recommendation on which dive shop to use? Have you used any in the area and are willing to recommend or veto a shop?

We're beginners, so I want to find someone who won't mind taking beginners out. I'm not "married to" the Akumal area, but it would be most convenient to our location. Anything between Playa and Tulum would be good. I've seen a few shops' web sites (Scuba Mex in Paamul, The Original Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Center) but don't know if any one of them would be fine, or if one is better than another.

Would we enjoy a dive in that area, or are we better off driving to Playa and taking a ferry to Cozumel? I'd prefer to NOT have to do that on this trip, but if you strongly recommend it, we'd consider it. (We'll be in Mexico at least 2-3 times per year for a while, so it's not like this is our only trip planned there. We can always dive Cozumel on another trip. And we'll probably always stay in South Akumal.)

Also, should I call this week and make reservations with someone, without checking out the shops first, or can we just do that when we arrive in Mexico on Saturday, to give us the chance to meet the operators and discuss our new-ness? (We arrive 8/21 and depart 8/28.)

I'd love any recommendations you folks could offer. Thanks!

....valarie

valtx:
Here's my question. My husband and I are headed to Mexico in six days, and are staying in South Akumal. We are both new divers, and have just received our Open Water certification. We'd like to find a good dive operation in the Akumal area. Does anyone have a recommendation on which dive shop to use? Have you used any in the area and are willing to recommend or veto a shop?
....valarie

Hi Valarie,

We used the Akumal Dive Center for our Ocean Dives on our recent trip to Akumal and found them to be very easy and willing to help. They have very experienced Divemasters that would be great for a beginner like yourself.

The Akumal Dive Shop is also very good, and many in our group have used them in the past, but choose not to on this trip as they had raised their prices significantly.

Both shops are very laid back, and you can write your name down on the chalkboard for dives the following day without having to hassel with reservations.

you may want to try Akumal Dive Shop... send an email for info to jesus@akumal.com or pablo@akumal.com The reefs around Akumal are very nice and these people will take good care of you. Also have heard good things about Akumal Dive Center and Tank-Ha (they have a shop at the Xpu-Ha Palace that will be closer to you than their shop in Playa). Drop me a line at mochapman@houston.rr.com if you want more miscellaneous info. Maria

boydski:
Hi Valarie,

We used the Akumal Dive Center for our Ocean Dives on our recent trip to Akumal and found them to be very easy and willing to help. They have very experienced Divemasters that would be great for a beginner like yourself.

The Akumal Dive Shop is also very good, and many in our group have used them in the past, but choose not to on this trip as they had raised their prices significantly.

Both shops are very laid back, and you can write your name down on the chalkboard for dives the following day without having to hassel with reservations.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'd seen both shops in Akumal the last time we were there (before we had taken our first classes) but didn't know what the general opinion was about them. Thanks for taking the time to reply! Now I know that I can comfortably look into these shops.

sharkdiver00:
you may want to try Akumal Dive Shop... send an email for info to jesus@akumal.com or pablo@akumal.com The reefs around Akumal are very nice and these people will take good care of you. Also have heard good things about Akumal Dive Center and Tank-Ha (they have a shop at the Xpu-Ha Palace that will be closer to you than their shop in Playa). Drop me a line at mochapman@houston.rr.com if you want more miscellaneous info. Maria

Thank you for your valuable information. Looks like we'll make our first stop at the two shops right in Akumal. I'm glad to know that the shops closest to us are recommend.

I also want to make sure that they know we are beginners. I'd hate for a seasoned pro's dive to be less than ideal because there are beginners (us) on board.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

......valarie

way you already established a contact and they will know your needs before hand (with time to provide you with the best DM for your dives). Oh yeah, there is a nice local seafood joint called "La Cueva del Pescador" right by the Akumal Dive shop and they have GREAT grouper. Email or PM if you need anything else. Maria

I used Akumal Dive Shop and was very satisfied with their service. I recommend Luis for a DM as he was very knowledgable.

Back
Top Bottom