Recommendations for S95 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an S95 and am quite pleased with it. I am finding that the Canon housing seems to fog. This is a problem I haven't had with my previous Sony housing. I have done well over 250 dives with the Sony and 50 or more with the Canon so I know the "normal tricks" to setting up the camera. I know there have been troubles with the mould lines on some Canon housings. I don;t think there is a ridge on mine or if so not much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be in the States in August and thinking I may want to take advantage of the lower cost of Scuba gear there and the Aussie dollar to consider a new housing. Whatever I get I will want to have the option of adding wet lenses later. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Hi, I'm assuming you're adding the moisture absorbing packets to the housing. I've used the Canon S90 housing and it was good to go and never had a problem. Just changed my housing to the older Fix S90 (now Recsea) and have noticed it is a more robust and heavier duty housing. Having the ability to connect fiber optic cable directly and the ease of adding wide angle and macro lenses, which I'm saving up for next, but seem easier with this newer housing. Got mine used online, but with your favorable exchange rate this might be a good way to go. I've seen very nice photos with both systems.

yes I have been putting 3 times as many moisture absorbing packets as I do in the Sony. Someone has suggested the problem may be from the heat of the flash within the housing:idk: . I have also had the suggestion of using defog inside the housing like some people use on masks...not sure how that would effect the plastic... anybody tried that?

My concern is that there have been a couple times were there was enough moisture to form some droplets. I don't want to risk a flood...

I own the Recsea housing and am very happy with it. You can easily use all the buttons and wheels of the camera and with the proper adapters you can pretty much use most wet lens available. I've never had any problems with it fogging up either.

I never have fogging issues with my FIX90. I do use a single Moisture Muncher tube and change it out every time I open the housing with a fresh (recharged) one.

I would not put defog on my housing lens. The Canon housings often fog because they have micro-leaks. If you cure the leaks by lapping the mold lines on the sealing surfaces the fogging will likely stop. Eventually, if you do not, it will flood. The Canon housings are really just wet cases, not really meant for scuba diving depths IMO.

N

Don't want to hijack the thread but how do you recharge your moisture munchers?

Anybody got any comments on the Iklite housing for the S95?

Anybody got any comments on the Iklite housing for the S95?

I have an IKE housing for the G11. From what I have seen, the Ike housing for the S95 is much more compact. The G11 housing has performed very well. I have discovered that I don't have any problem with fogging I close up the housing (with camera inside) in an air conditioned environment. My diving is warm water diving so the housing never gets cool enough on those dives to get any condensation coming out of the air conditioned air in the housing.

Back
Top Bottom