Recommendations for Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoleAnimal

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for dive resorts on Roatan? My fiancee' and I are going for our honeymoon.

Scott

I highly recommend The Inn of Last Resort. You can find additonal informtation on them in the Central America section. It is a wonderful place to go. The staff makes you feel like family and it is a very quite location. The lagoon is an especially romantic place to watch the sunset. The diver operation is wonderful and very helpful.

Anthony's Key is probably the most popular, though CoCo View is also outstanding.

If value is your key component, and your wife like to watch TV and not dive constantly, you may want to consider Fantasy Island.

We dived and lodged with Fantasy Island this past August. I would give the dive op an A, the restaurant a C-, and the resort itself a B.

The quality of the diving was okay, not the greatest I've seen. Would I go again? Probably not since there are other places I want to go and I'm not getting any younger....

Honeymoon on Roatan? Speaking as a relative newlywed myself (married just over a year), and someone who vacationed on Roatan two months ago, I urge you to consider thoughtfully. Are both you and your fiance avid divers? (If she is not, stop now and book elsewhere). How important to you are first rate accommodations, fine meals, massages and spa treatments, and other honeymoon pampering? You'll find good (not spectacular) diving on Roatan, but not much of the rest. Not a place for lying out on the beach, either, due to the no-see-ums. There are many places where you can find all of the above, but, as long as you know what you're getting into, go for it and have a wonderful time!

pigletfish:
Honeymoon on Roatan? Speaking as a relative newlywed myself (married just over a year), and someone who vacationed on Roatan two months ago, I urge you to consider thoughtfully. Are both you and your fiance avid divers? (If she is not, stop now and book elsewhere). How important to you are first rate accommodations, fine meals, massages and spa treatments, and other honeymoon pampering? You'll find good (not spectacular) diving on Roatan, but not much of the rest. Not a place for lying out on the beach, either, due to the no-see-ums. There are many places where you can find all of the above, but, as long as you know what you're getting into, go for it and have a wonderful time!

I would say we are into adventuring and not so much pampering. Some of the real key things about Roatan are the diving, hiking around the island, the whitewater rafting in Pico Bonito Park and possibly some fishing for me.

Can anyone tell me about any direct experience with Bay Islands Beach Resort? Also, anyone know anything about spearfishing regulations? And/or lobstering?

I have also heard that the government is trying to control the sand flies with several procedures since early 2003. Using nematodes and doing some spraying and other things. Anyone been there since they started this?

I'm a CoCo Nut, and would also recommend CoCo View Resort. The cabanas over the ocean are tropical rustic and very romantic. The only thing you'll have to worry about is how many dives you want to do, inside or out :eyebrow: The rest is taken care of for you. Shore-diving couldn't be easier. The staff is phenomenal and will make you feel right at home.

Pigletfish made some excellent points. I'll reiterate one in particular, this is a resort for avid divers. That's not to say you couldn't enjoy the stay if you're a non-diver, but you must be prepared for kicking back, reading, sunning, snorkeling, kayaking, day-tripping, or a few hours at the spa while your significant other is diving.

My husband usually doesn't spend his entire day diving...me, I'm disappointed if I can't do at least 5 a day :jump013:

Back
Top Bottom