Recommendations for Primary Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have that same soft handle also. You got it from DRiS. I got mine from Dive Gear Express. They all appear to be identical to the Oxycheq Universal light sock.

I have found from some other places that sell it that it actually comes in 2 sizes. I think what I have is the larger size.

I hate it!

If I leave the palm strap loose enough to slide it onto my hand, the velcro is not attached to itself at all and the strap will just come undone. Trying to rethread that velcro strap through the little D-ring, while wearing gloves and underwater is a MAJOR PITA. I'm really not sure I could do it.

Plus, the way the velcro is setup on it, the strap really only works right when it's set for one size hand. Which makes it uncomfortably tight on my hand. If I make the palm strap loose enough to be comfortable, the velcro doesn't overlap enough to stay fastened, if it fastens at all.

On the other hand, I have not dived with the Raider light sock yet. But, it is the same basic idea as the soft handle on a Sola light I have used before. I.e. one loop/strap that goes around your hand and palm and a separate loop that goes around your wrist. If you snug up the wrist loop, it gives a light base that is held at 4 points. The Sola light I used was very solid and stable on my hand. I think the Raider light sock will be, as well. The palm loop only needs to be snug. Then the wrist loop bungee can also be a little tighter than snug and it will keep the light pulled back against the palm loop and stable. At least, that's how the Sola hand mount worked.

And I have already tested that I can take the Raider "glove" off and put it on easily, without undoing any straps or having to fasten anything after it's on. That makes me feel much better about being able to take it off my hand and clip it to a chest D-ring without worrying about losing it. Ditto for taking it off a chest D-ring and putting it on my hand.

I did a 2 hour cave dive on the raider light sock, it was brilliant. Had loaned out my UWLD, so was diving a backup light and it was perfectly fine. I can't stand the sock that I got from DGX. Haven't actually dove it, but the large size isn't big enough for my hand, and definitely not possible to use with a glove on

I did a 2 hour cave dive on the raider light sock, it was brilliant. Had loaned out my UWLD, so was diving a backup light and it was perfectly fine. I can't stand the sock that I got from DGX. Haven't actually dove it, but the large size isn't big enough for my hand, and definitely not possible to use with a glove on
Then that is clearly not the same goodman glove as DRIS sells. I have very large hands (my cold water gloves are Dry-5 XXL and are almost too small) and my soft goodman glove fits me nicely. . .

Then that is clearly not the same goodman glove as DRIS sells. I have very large hands (my cold water gloves are Dry-5 XXL and are almost too small) and my soft goodman glove fits me nicely. . .

either way, the design isn't as comfortable as the oxycheq design. I'm not sure how stable you would need it, but the bungee loop at the back is crucial and with drygloves it may be very different. with wet gloves and bare handed, it's incredibly stable and is very similar to the soft goodman design that is used by a lot of canister light manufacturers

I know people use them, but I don't get how using the soft socks works. Every time you need to use your left hand for something, typically buoyancy related, you have to switch the light over to the other hand. It seems like it would a royal pain to do so.

Last edited:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/321935537456

I just purchased two of these and they don't have a really defined hotspot but they are super bright and with 6 good 18650s burned 4 hours on low and still looked bright. I got bored and turned them off since 4 hours is longer than I'm going to go on a dive and I have plenty of batterys so I can change them when I change tanks. Didn't check burn time in high as so far I haven't really found a need for high it washes out the other lights I have.

I know people use them, but I don't get how using the soft socks works. Every time you need to use your left hand for something, typically buoyancy related, you have to switch the light over to the other hand. It seems like it would a royal pain to do so.

why? with cordless lights there is no need to swap over other than potentially blinding your buddy/potentially confusing emergency signal. Good enough to not want to do that in a cave, but not something that's an issue in OW imo. I'm also in sidemount, so my buoyancy is all done at the chest

why? with cordless lights there is no need to swap over other than potentially blinding your buddy/potentially confusing emergency signal. Good enough to not want to do that in a cave, but not something that's an issue in OW imo.

That's more than enough reason to have to swap as far as I'm concerned. In OW it's more annoying than dangerous, but it is very annoying.

That's more than enough reason to have to swap as far as I'm concerned. In OW it's more annoying than dangerous, but it is very annoying.

bit difficult when on a DPV to swap hands without coming off of the trigger. In sidemount I can control all of my buoyancy with my right hand, and will typically swap the DPV over to the left hand. Don't dive backmount that often where I need lights. If I do, I'm probably using my UWLD where the light head clips into the goodman handle so I will unclip it, hold it, adjust buoyancy with the left, then clip it back in.

that all said, hard goodmans with small handhelds suck and have literally 0 stability, they also have no security, so they are super easy to drop. They work fine with the big light heads of old, marginal with the smaller light heads where the cable helps quite a bit. Since you're so quick to critique, what's your solution for small handheld lights?

Handhelds I hold in my hand and pass back and forth. My primaries still have cords and hard Goodman handles with thumb loops. Multiple lights waving around on night dives have become one of my pet peeves, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom