Recommendations for Molokini Crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beasleym

Contributor
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a dive operator that does Molokini off Maui? I'm looking for feedback from anyone that's been there or lives on Maui and has done the trip.

My wife snorkels, so someone that can handle her needs at the same time would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Ed Robinson's was great diving for us, although we did the back wall of Molokini, not ideal for snorkelers. I highly recommend them as a dive-op and would give them a call and see what the options would be for your wife. They are based out of Kihei and can get to Molokini easier than the Lahaina based operators. Nice boats, although small, and first class dive masters. We really enjoyed it.

I've been to Maui too many times to count and have used three Kihei dive ops on a regular basis -- B & B Scuba is a great outfit and works well for all skill levels -- but especially "typical vacation" divers.

If your wife wants to snorkel while you dive, check with B&B or Maui Diamond II - Probably others allow both as well. They will cater specifically to the diver, but allow snorkeling above - just make sure your wife is really comfortable with her water skills if she plans to snorkel off a dive boat - For an avid freediver it can be a lot more fun that the typical snorkel trips. I've been on B&B when we had a snorkeler diving the backwall - she had a blast, but was obviously VERY comfortable freediving and snorkeling in 200+fsw. (btw - the backwall trip was requested by the snorkeler on that trip - I would LOVE to do some freediving and snorkeling over there!)

Have fun :)

Aloha, Tim

Makena Coast Dive Charters will also typically accept both snorkelers and divers on the same charter and the way they deal with both allows for everybody to have a great time.

Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures is probably not the best operation for snorkelers. We will do what we can to accommodate a snorkeler but when push comes to shove we will choose a dive site over a snorkel site.
Ed

If you're staying up in the Lahaina area, Lahaina Divers goes to Molokini (guarantees 2 dives in the crater) and takes both riders and snorkelers. The boat ride to Molokini is long (a hour-ish) but an absolutely gorgeous way to see Maui from the water. Plus during whale season you're guaranteed an outstanding whale watching cruise to and from the crater. Also their big 46' Newton boats are comfortable for people staying on the boat while it's moored, with plenty of room to move around and an easily accessable bathroom.

We dive with Ed Robinson's and would definitely NOT want to be a snorkeler on those boats. They cater to divers and the boats are set up for divers, not riders or snorkelers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom