Recommendations for lodging, dive shops for 1st Curacao trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchL999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My fiance and I are planning a trip for late may/early June. We are in our 30s and are look for recommendations for lodging, dive shops, restaurants and top side activities.

So far I'm looking at scuba lodge, lions dive and avila for lodging. We are looking for something Ocean front, with access to snorkeling from the hotel that has good food and drinks. Would like to be able to walk to other restaurants and bars for happy hour, dinner and light night light. A sandy beach area would be a plus but is not make or break (I know scuba lodge doesn't have beach front, however it has great reviews and an associated dive shop). Something that has a nice "vibe" in the afternoon/evening without a lot of kids running around would be great. Any place have swim up bar? Avila looks nice, has beach but one review said it's not safe to walk from at night? Lions dive also has beach but no snorkeling there? (I would like to be able to get a quick snorkel in while the fiance gets a massage or naps in the sun one day)? Any strong recommendations? Thoughts? We want moderate price, good vibe at the hotel beach and bars and access to town, restaurants and snorkeling if possible (without excessive noise at night in hotel room). Also plan to explore the whole island to a degree over a week so that's a consideration.

For dive shop I'm looking at the dive bus, the dive shop or the shops associated with scuba lodge or lions dive so far. Also will plan to do 1-2 days of boat diving at the end of the week with go west. Will definitely be renting a vehicle to check out various parts of town, hike the "mountain" and hit various beaches and coves for diving, snorkeling and drinking in the sun.

My thoughts are possibly Avila with a custom drive and dive package from the dive bus + 1 day of boat diving with go west.

Thanks in advance

been to curacao once only so not too familiar with all the areas. but i thought there was diving right off shore at lions ? so i assume there would be snokeling ? i am sure someone else will know for sure though.
have you looked at sunscape ? we were just considering a possible second trip there and it looks pretty nice. dive op on site as well.

Lions likely meets your criteria. Venture outside the man-made barrier for the beach, and you will have stuff to explore... But, just go get a tank and dive PierBaai (Dive Bus house reef) just a couple blocks down the road...

They are great folks.

Mambo Beach likely has everything you need....

We enjoyed that area on our last 3 trips. A little bit of everything.

I'd suggest the Pietermaai area (Scuba Lodge and others). A short walk to town with a variety of great restaurants and music nearby. Rent a car, shore dive around the island, and hit the beaches and parks during the day. If you have a longer vacation, stay in Westpunt for 4 nights when you dive with Go West and hike the mountain.

The most pristine reefs are out at Eastpoint. These dive sites are only reachable by boat. Check out Dive Charter Curacao! www.divechartercuracao.com

Is eastpoint better than westpunt?

Im loving this post as Im really trying to get there for the first time as well.

Westpunt is great if you stay there, which you're not: there's not much "activities" topside and the town is an hour away. I'd say for your sated requirements a trip to eastpoint may well be "better". (We haven't been: we stay in Westpunt.)

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

Maybe some of my notes and report will help. Sunscape Resort Curacao is an A.I. close to Lions Dive Resort (also close to Dive Bus) and walking distance from Mambo Beach and the Curacao Sea Aquarium, and the place we met to join an ATV group (if you go on that, whatever else you do, pay the $5 for the bandana to shield your mouth from dust!).

Would like to be able to walk to other restaurants and bars for happy hour, dinner and light night light.

Something that has a nice "vibe" in the afternoon/evening without a lot of kids running around would be great. Any place have swim up bar?

while the fiance gets a massage

good vibe at the hotel beach and bars and access to town, restaurants and

You don't sound like Westpunt is your destination. That alone will narrow your Curacao options down, helpful in finding the right one.

Im loving this post as Im really trying to get there for the first time as well.

Primarily due to the remoteness of the Eastpoint reef, it is one of the healthiest reef systems in the Caribbean. Researchers have used words like “prehistoric” and “thousands of years of growth” when describing it. It’s well documented that it has more live coral coverage then the rest of the island.

if you are up for a boat dive, then you really should take a look at one of the last growing reef systems in the Caribbean!

I for one feel that Westpunt is way underrated and has plenty of topside if you are into nature. Endless remote beaches, great snorkeling/diving, boca tabla, Christophol, landhuis' to visit, host of restaurants Misje, Sol, Rancho Sobrino, Catus Cafe, and that is just a few I would recommend..

Back
Top Bottom