Question Recommendations for Lisbon, Portugal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Lisbon, Portugal for the easter holiday (April 3rd to 9th), and I'm hoping to get dive or two in. Anyone have recommendations for dive operators and/or dive sites in the area, within recreational range (<30m)? I also need to rent some gear, as I can't bring everything along for a family trip, ideally BP/W and doubles - but I'll take what I can get.

I would love to meet fellow GUE divers if there are any in the area, but I'm happy to dive with any responsible dive ops and/or nice people :)

If you want to dive near Lisbon, I recommend Sesimbra, half an hour south. Try Anthia Diving: for sure they will rent you doubles, dunno about the BPW.

They are no GUE divers but some dive with them.

I'm headed to the Algarves for my pal's wedding/birthday the second week of September. While there will be festivities I'll be attending, I will have at least 4 unplanned days during my stay, so I'm hoping to try diving in the Atlantic for the first time.

Apparently, we are about 15 minutes away from Portimao and Silves, if that means anything to anyone.

I suspect my 2mm wetsuit won't cut it, so I'm planning on renting a 7m suit/hood/gloves from the dive shop he used to get his certification. I have all my own gear otherwise, save for a light (I'm looking at the Orcatorch or the Kraken handhelds), which I think would be a good idea. I'm not expecting the visibility I'm used to in the Caribbean.

Anything else I should know about diving in Portugal, the Algarves in particular?

2mm will definitely not be enough.
Never dove there so I am writing what I heard.
Visibility can be poor even for Portuguese standards.
In Portimão you have 4 navy ships that were sunk for diving purposes.
Sagres may be better (western corner of Algarve).

Well, I'm back from my trip, and I will have to say that was the most unprepared I've ever been for diving in my life, even looking at my first true open water experience (Aruba).

The Atlantic is most definitely not the same as the Caribbean.

I learned my limitations this week. Cold water/ocean diving is not for me. We dove Sagres, and while it's beautiful country, the diving there is not the leisurely recreation activity I've come to love. Those of you who learned to dive and continue to dive in those conditions earn all of my respect!

Well, I'm back from my trip, and I will have to say that was the most unprepared I've ever been for diving in my life, even looking at my first true open water experience (Aruba).

The Atlantic is most definitely not the same as the Caribbean.

I learned my limitations this week. Cold water/ocean diving is not for me. We dove Sagres, and while it's beautiful country, the diving there is not the leisurely recreation activity I've come to love. Those of you who learned to dive and continue to dive in those conditions earn all of my respect!
The photo of my profile was taken in Sesimbra, on a shallow dive named "Pedra da Mula", We have many dives at Sesimbra that are noteworthy on this paradise of the Atlantic Ocean

- River Gurara - Nigerian Cargo ship lost at Cabo Espichel - broken in 2 with different dive depths 28 meters to 35 meters, the ex-libris diving spot of Sesimbra
- Forte da Baralha - 15 meters
- Passeio das Gorgónias - 16 to 17 meters - Wonderful aquatic kelp
- Encosta das Moreias - varies from 10 to 12 meters - A spot to see Morey eels

Will put here a map for you guys to see every dive spot, some are wrecks "River Gurara" "Numância"

1698408300052.png

Diving Centers:

Arrabida Experiences - Arrábida Experiences | Experiências na natureza na Arrábida
Anthia Dive club - Home - Anthia Diving Center
Azzurro Dive Academy - HOME | AZZURRO
Casco Antíguo - Mergulhe em Portugal com ⚓ Casco Antiguo
Cipreia Dive Club - CIPREIA DIVE CLUB
Megadive - Mega Dive Mergulho – Centro de Mergulho Mega Dive em Sesimbra
Haliotis - Sesimbra | Haliotis – Dive Center
H2O Lisbon Dive Club - H2O Lisbon Dive Club | Sesimbra
Nautilus-SUB - Nautilus-Sub : A mais antiga e maior escola internacional de mergulho em Portugal
Wind - https://wind-mergulho.pt/
Odisseia Azul - https://odisseiaazul.pt/

There could be more Dive Centers, and forgive me if I forgot to list them!

All these centers listed have really good reviews, have good experienced professionals that speak English fluently, and vary from PADI to SSI, I dive with Arrabida Experiences, took my certification with them, and love the experience, but all others are excellent as well.

Feel free to ask questions about places near Lisbon, also possible accommodations and distances, I will make sure to give you all the details I can.

Thank you

The photo of my profile was taken in Sesimbra, on a shallow dive named "Pedra da Mula", We have many dives at Sesimbra that are noteworthy on this paradise of the Atlantic Ocean

- River Gurara - Nigerian Cargo ship lost at Cabo Espichel - broken in 2 with different dive depths 28 meters to 35 meters, the ex-libris diving spot of Sesimbra
- Forte da Baralha - 15 meters
- Passeio das Gorgónias - 16 to 17 meters - Wonderful aquatic kelp
- Encosta das Moreias - varies from 10 to 12 meters - A spot to see Morey eels

Will put here a map for you guys to see every dive spot, some are wrecks "River Gurara" "Numância"

View attachment 807736

Diving Centers:

Arrabida Experiences - Arrábida Experiences | Experiências na natureza na Arrábida
Anthia Dive club - Home - Anthia Diving Center
Azzurro Dive Academy - HOME | AZZURRO
Casco Antíguo - Mergulhe em Portugal com ⚓ Casco Antiguo
Cipreia Dive Club - CIPREIA DIVE CLUB
Megadive - Mega Dive Mergulho – Centro de Mergulho Mega Dive em Sesimbra
Haliotis - Sesimbra | Haliotis – Dive Center
H2O Lisbon Dive Club - H2O Lisbon Dive Club | Sesimbra
Nautilus-SUB - Nautilus-Sub : A mais antiga e maior escola internacional de mergulho em Portugal
Wind - Home - Wind Mergulho
Odisseia Azul - Odisseia Azul – A sua Odisseia começa aquí

There could be more Dive Centers, and forgive me if I forgot to list them!

All these centers listed have really good reviews, have good experienced professionals that speak English fluently, and vary from PADI to SSI, I dive with Arrabida Experiences, took my certification with them, and love the experience, but all others are excellent as well.

Feel free to ask questions about places near Lisbon, also possible accommodations and distances, I will make sure to give you all the details I can.

Thank you

I second this recommendation for diving in Continental Portugal.
I always go with Anthia when I am down there.

I second this recommendation for diving in Continental Portugal.
I always go with Anthia when I am down there.
I guess a follow up is in order. I did end up diving with Anthia, accompanied by a very friendly and helpful local GUE diver. I had a good experience with them, and they were able to rent me doubles with nitrox. Did a lovely boat dive on the River Gurara shipwreck, and they let us dive separate from the group as a buddy pair and ascend on an agreed time.

Back
Top Bottom